Proof of Symmetry for x^2 + 4y^2 = 1 Curve without Graph Drawing

That's what making the equation equivalent to the original equation means. Here's the summary:In summary, to prove symmetry about the x-axis, you can show that f(x) = f(-x) where f(x) is the equation of the curve. To prove symmetry about the y-axis, you can show that f(y) = f(-y). This means that the graph remains the same when you swap x for -x and y for -y.
hms.tech

Homework Statement

Show that the curve is symmetrical about the x-axis (without drawing the graph)
eq of the curve is : x^2 + 4y^2 = 1

also show that the curve is symmetric about the y axis

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To prove that the curve was symmetric abou the x axis, i made x the subject of the equation of the curve:

x=(1-4y^2)^0.5 (can be positive or negative)

Then i used simple intuition:
let a particular value of y be "k" and the corresponding value of x be "c".
by simple calculation, we can conclude that for y=-k , x will still be equal to "c"

Can anyone guide me if this proof is enough or it lacks something, for the latter case, please provide an alternative but suitable proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
hms.tech said:

Homework Statement

Show that the curve is symmetrical about the x-axis (without drawing the graph)
eq of the curve is : x^2 + 4y^2 = 1

also show that the curve is symmetric about the y axis

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To prove that the curve was symmetric abou the x axis, i made x the subject of the equation of the curve:

x=(1-4y^2)^0.5 (can be positive or negative)

Then i used simple intuition:
let a particular value of y be "k" and the corresponding value of x be "c".
by simple calculation, we can conclude that for y=-k , x will still be equal to "c"

Can anyone guide me if this proof is enough or it lacks something, for the latter case, please provide an alternative but suitable proof.
Generally, simply use the original equation. If you replace y with -y, and the resulting equation is equivalent to the original equation, then the graph is symmetric w.r.t. the x-axis.

For symmetry w,r,t, the y-axis, replace x with -x, in the original, and check to see that the result is equivalent to the original.

It is enough proof to show that f(x)=f(-x) for symmetry about the y-axis, and f(y)=f(-y) for symmetry about the x-axis. Can you see why?
Basically, this just means you just need to show that the function doesn't change when you swap x for -x and y for -y.

edit: If I bothered to refresh the page to see if a reply was already made, we wouldn't be here right now...

alright, from your replies i think the method i used is correct.

So thnx guys !
cheers

Yes, correct, but do you understand that everyone was telling you that you don't have to solve for one variable?

1. What is symmetry?

Symmetry is a concept in mathematics and science that refers to the balance and similarity of an object or system on both sides of a dividing line, axis, or point.

2. How is symmetry measured and quantified?

Symmetry can be measured and quantified using various mathematical methods, including symmetry groups, symmetry operations, and symmetry breaking. These methods help determine the number and type of symmetries present in a given object or system.

3. What are the different types of symmetry?

There are three main types of symmetry: reflectional (mirror) symmetry, rotational (turn) symmetry, and translational (slide) symmetry. These types can be further classified into subtypes, such as point symmetry, line symmetry, and plane symmetry.

4. How is symmetry important in science and nature?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in understanding and describing the natural world. It is seen in the structure and function of molecules, crystals, and living organisms. Symmetry also has practical applications in fields such as architecture, art, and design.

5. How is symmetry used in proof and analysis?

Symmetry is a powerful tool in proof and analysis, as it can help determine the properties and characteristics of an object or system. By identifying symmetries, scientists can make predictions, test hypotheses, and gain a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and laws of nature.