Choosing the Right Tablet for High School Students: What to Consider

• Thread starter jbmiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fit
In summary, the conversation discusses the best tablet options for a student who needs it for studying, note-taking, and homework. Suggestions include the Samsung tablet, ASUS eee pad transformer, and iPad 3. The ASUS transformer is recommended for its value for money, but the iPad may be a better choice due to an existing iTunes account. The conversation also mentions the HP touchpad and Asus transformer prime as potential options. Ultimately, the decision is left to the individual's personal needs and preferences.
jbmiller
Hey everyone,

Recently I've been looking into buying a tablet that would best fit my specifications. I thought this would be the best place to poke around and get more expertise opinions.

Basically I would be using the tablet for various things; notes, homework, writing math/physics equations, etc.

I'm in my freshman year of high school and I'm doing a lot of traveling this summer. I will need a tablet that has a good, responsive touchscreen, and that will allow me to study/self-learn Alg II, Pre-Calc/Calc, Chemistry (mabye), and Physics. I want to be well prepared and rather advanced when I enter my sophomore classes next year.

Not to mention learning Python, C, and Matlab.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hey Mr. Miller, I'd suggest a samsung tablet.

Man chem is so hard!~!

Anything having android is good, as there are quite a few apps to learn stuff on like wolfram alpha etc. I'd probably go for the ASUS eee pad transformer. Another good option would be the Samsung galaxy 8.9 which has a small screen for better portability.

For learning Algebra and Calc, check out PatrickJMT.com. He makes tons of very helpful math video tutorials, makes learning the material very easy.

I have an ipad and would not recommend it just because it seams to be deliberately made with a lack in functionality so apple can profit more off of Itunes.

Well I wouldn't need it for apps, I will have all the textbooks I need.

I just need something that will allow me to take notes and do homework on, and something that will save my work. I really like the asus transformer or the samsung tablet because music could also be uploaded on to it. Not to mention it's multi-purpose even beyond what I'm seeking.

Ok, I think I might go with an Ipad 3. If anyone this this is a bad idea, please comment now.

My main reason for going with the Ipad 3 is because I already have a pretty extensive Itunes account, and that's really the only thing.

My other option would be the Asus eee pad Transformer, so if you thin the Asus would be a better fir with better apps to fit my needs than please let me know so.

Initially I did have Ipad in mind. Ipad 3 is amazing, but if you are considering value for money, Asus wins. Although, since you have a extensive Itunes account already, I believe going for Ipad would be the better choice.

Infinitum said:
Initially I did have Ipad in mind. Ipad 3 is amazing, but if you are considering value for money, Asus wins. Although, since you have a extensive Itunes account already, I believe going for Ipad would be the better choice.

I'm not all that worried about money, thankfully, my parents are paying for it. And I just read up on the Ipad 3 and it looks to be a beast. They crammed in so much stuff to really push it, and it hardly gained any in a weight aspect. Can't wait for the new retina display. processor, RAM, and overall beauty of it!

You know what's really awkward. My teacher has the same name as you and he's looking for a tablet.

Hellohi said:
You know what's really awkward. My teacher has the same name as you and he's looking for a tablet.

Haha, which one is he thinking about getting?

Infinitum said:
Nice deal! I already have my old Asus and a HP touchpad, or I really would have gone for this one. Enjoy the beast! :wink:

HP touchpad? Hmm, never heard of it.

And I will enjoy it!

Thanks everyone for the help!

jbmiller said:
HP touchpad? Hmm, never heard of it.

Its a rather less-known tablet brought in by HP and discontinued soon. The plus is they sold it dirt cheap (100 dollars a piece) but it barely has any support of any sort. Somehow, I got it to dual-boot android along with webOS and it works like a charm :smile:

Last edited:
Infinitum said:
Its a rather less-known tablet brought in by HP and discontinued soon. The plus is they sold it dirt cheap (100 dollars a piece) but it barely has any support of any sort. Somehow, I got it to dual-boot android along with webOS and it works like a charm :smile:

Damn, sounds like a really good deal too me!

My teachers still looking:p But maybe I could tell him to get this one!

Ben Niehoff said:
You won't be able to take notes, write equations, or do homework on ANY of the tablets mentioned in this thread.

See this other, very similar thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=570967

I'm getting the Asus Transformer which uses the Android Market. I've looked at Android's apps and yes, they do have apps for my specific needs.

The best tablet for students could be Asus Transformer Prime. It mainly designed for educational purposes enhancing the needs of the students.

I think Samsung Tablet isi very great and can meet all of your demands.

I don't know any best Tablet but the one that can perfect meet all my needs !

What are your needs?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing the best fit tablet for me?

When considering the best fit tablet for you, you should think about your budget, desired screen size, storage capacity, operating system, and intended use for the tablet.

2. Which operating system is best for a tablet?

The best operating system for a tablet depends on your personal preference and needs. Some popular options include iOS, Android, and Windows. iOS is known for its user-friendly interface and seamless integration with other Apple products, while Android offers a wide range of customization options. Windows tablets are often preferred by those who need a tablet that can also function as a laptop.

3. How much storage capacity do I need for my tablet?

The amount of storage capacity you need for your tablet will depend on how you plan to use it. If you will mainly use it for basic tasks such as browsing the internet and checking emails, 32GB of storage may be enough. However, if you plan to store large files or use the tablet for gaming or video editing, you may need more storage capacity.

4. What is a good screen size for a tablet?

The best screen size for a tablet depends on your personal preference and intended use. If you will primarily use the tablet for reading or browsing the internet, a smaller screen size (around 7-8 inches) may be sufficient. However, if you plan to use the tablet for watching videos or working on documents, a larger screen size (around 10 inches) may be more suitable.

5. What is the average battery life for a tablet?

The average battery life for a tablet can vary depending on the model and usage. Generally, most tablets have a battery life of 8-10 hours. However, this can be affected by factors such as screen brightness, internet connectivity, and usage of power-intensive apps.