Impossible electric fields examples?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of impossible electric fields and provides an example of a circular field. It is mentioned that all magnetic fields are not impossible electric fields and that any kind of electric field can exist as long as they obey the boundary relations. The use of computer simulations to visualize these fields is also discussed.
mishima
I was trying to think of more impossible electric fields than my book has. I understand it is anything that breaks the rule that the path integral is zero. One example is a circular field. I was trying to picture some more complicated 3d examples.

Are all magnetic fields an impossible electric field? I just mean visually, in appearance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can have any kind of electric field so long as they obey the boundary relations.
"Path integral" (The correct term is line integral, a path integral is something we use in quantum mechanics) being zero around a loop is only true for an electric field generated by stationary charges, in general accelerating charges will generate non conservative electric fields.

Thanks, and yes I was trying to say something like "closed path line integral" I think.

So, I could use a computer simulation that generates magnetic fields and moving charges to "see" some impossible electric fields?

Such as the 3d magnetostatics one here: http://www.falstad.com/mathphysics.html ?

1. Can an electric field be created without any physical source?

Yes, an electric field can be created without any physical source through the phenomenon of induction. When a charged object is brought near a neutral object, it can create an electric field in the neutral object without making physical contact.

2. How can an electric field be stronger than the field generated by a single charge?

An electric field can be stronger than the field generated by a single charge by using multiple charges. The electric field created by multiple charges can add up and create a stronger field than that of a single charge. This is known as the superposition principle.

3. Is it possible for an electric field to have a negative strength?

No, electric field strength is always positive. It represents the force experienced by a positive charge in the field. However, the direction of the field can be negative, indicating that the force experienced by a positive charge would be in the opposite direction.

4. Can an electric field exist in a vacuum?

Yes, an electric field can exist in a vacuum. In fact, light is an example of an electric field in a vacuum. The electric and magnetic fields oscillate perpendicular to each other and propagate through the vacuum.

5. How can an electric field be used for levitation?

Electric fields can be used for levitation by creating a strong electric field between two objects with opposite charges. The force of the electric field can counteract the force of gravity, allowing the objects to float in midair. This principle is utilized in technologies such as maglev trains and levitating displays.