Energy a mathematical expression?!

by Phztastic
Tags: energy, expression, mathematical
Share this thread:
Phztastic
May5-13, 10:33 PM
P: 50
Quote Quote by Fredrik View Post
I wouldn't put it that way. It's not that the term "energy" can't be defined at all, it's just that it can't be defined in a theory-independent way. It has to be defined by a theory of physics, and different theories can (and do) define it in different ways. I wouldn't say that the idea that "energy is the ability to do work" is wrong. I would just say this:

1. It's not a definition.
2. It's a good way of thinking about the various types of energy that are defined in pre-relativistic classical mechanics.
3. It's not a good way of thinking about energy in quantum mechanics.
4. It's a guideline that we can use to choose which mathematical concepts in a new theory that should be given names that have the word "energy" in them.
1. Then what is it?
2. Energy? Or the definition?
3. Why? What about energy in QM?
4. Do explain!

In the common world... What is energy in both CM and QM? An ability? A property? What?
Or just a measuring tool for the amount of work?
Why use the idea of energy? Why do we need if?
Why not calculate the Work done and so be it?
What's the point of Potential energy?

What is our purpose of building mathematical models for energy and not knowing what "energy" is?!

The conservation principles are really mind boggling...
Fredrik
May5-13, 10:52 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,224
Quote Quote by Phztastic View Post
1. Then what is it?
2. Energy? Or the definition?
3. Why? What about energy in QM?
4. Do explain!
1. Explained by 2-4 (in the post you quoted), especially 4.
2. The statement that's not a definition.
3. In QM, the Hamiltonian is defined as the generator of translations in time, and we refer to its eigenvalues as "energy". "Work" is a less useful concept in the foundations of QM at least.
4. I thought that my statement was sort of self-explanatory, or at least that what I said before the list made the meaning clear.

In the common world... What is energy in both CM and QM? An ability? A property? What?
As I said, such terms are defined by theories. They are not defined "in the common world".

Or just a measuring tool for the amount of work?
Why not calculate the Work done and so be it?
What's the point of Potential energy?
I'm not going to write 20 pages.

What is our purpose of building mathematical models for energy and not knowing what "energy" is?!
You're missing the point, those mathematical models (plus the experiments that tell us how good or bad their predictions are) are how we understand what energy is. If you want to understand energy, the only way to do it is to study its mathematical definitions in the relevant theories, and do some exercises.
A.T.
May6-13, 04:02 AM
P: 3,890
It is useful to make predictions.
Fredrik
May6-13, 05:06 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,224
And power companies need it to know how much to overcharge you.

Register to reply