Connecting headphones in parallel?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a splitter to connect two headsets in parallel. It is possible to do this, but it is important to consider the efficiency of the headphones to ensure that one set is not significantly louder than the other. These splitters can be found at stores like Radio Shack.
Nerdydude101
So i was wondering, if i connected two headsets in parallel before the jack would it send the same sounds to both head sets?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes. What do you think these things do?

Attachments

• 71zLhAg-rSL._SL1500_.jpg
    71zLhAg-rSL._SL1500_.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 787
Yes - you can typically use a splitter for this - it will have a single male plug for the source, and then 2 female jacks for each of the headphones. The source does need to be able to drive both headphones, in my experience I have not had a problem with 2 - but if you parallel more of them it will become a problem. -- Here in the States these are available at radio shack, you may want to bring the headphones in there are a few sizes of plugs.

Thanks

The one potential issue here is that headphones can vary widely in efficiency, and if you connect a very efficient set in parallel with an inefficient set, you might barely be able to hear anything on one set, while the other set is extremely loud. Other than that though, you shouldn't have any problems.

1. How do you connect headphones in parallel?

To connect headphones in parallel, you will need a headphone splitter or a headphone amplifier. Simply plug the splitter or amplifier into your device, and then plug each pair of headphones into the splitter or amplifier. This will allow multiple headphones to receive the same audio signal simultaneously.

2. What are the benefits of connecting headphones in parallel?

Connecting headphones in parallel allows multiple people to listen to the same audio source at the same time. This is useful for group listening, such as when watching a movie or listening to music with friends.

3. Is it safe to connect headphones in parallel?

Yes, it is safe to connect headphones in parallel as long as you are using a headphone splitter or amplifier designed for this purpose. Using other methods, such as directly connecting two headphones together, can damage the headphones or the audio source.

4. Can I connect different types of headphones in parallel?

Yes, you can connect different types of headphones in parallel as long as they have the same audio jack size. However, keep in mind that different types of headphones may have different sound quality and volume levels, so you may need to adjust accordingly.

5. Are there any limitations to connecting headphones in parallel?

One limitation of connecting headphones in parallel is that the audio quality may decrease slightly when splitting the signal between multiple headphones. Additionally, there may be a slight delay in the audio reaching each headphone, but this is often negligible.