Register to reply

Yarman Geometric Norm or Impedence Normalization

by anothnagle
Tags: antenna or rf, impedance, normalization
Share this thread:
anothnagle
Jun20-14, 09:21 AM
P: 5
I'm working with some old software to optimize antenna networks, and I've come across some stuff that I don't understand. For the software to run, all impedence values entered must be normalized to 1 ohm. What does it mean to normalize an impedence and how do I do it? Also, the manual for the software keeps referring to a Yarman geometric norm when it talks about normalizing these impedences. What is a Yarman geometric norm?

I apologize if I sound daft. Any help would be much appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
Compact vibration harvester power supply with highest efficiency opens door to "fix-and-forget" sensor nodes
berkeman
Jun21-14, 04:43 PM
Mentor
P: 40,649
Quote Quote by anothnagle View Post
I'm working with some old software to optimize antenna networks, and I've come across some stuff that I don't understand. For the software to run, all impedence values entered must be normalized to 1 ohm. What does it mean to normalize an impedence and how do I do it? Also, the manual for the software keeps referring to a Yarman geometric norm when it talks about normalizing these impedences. What is a Yarman geometric norm?

I apologize if I sound daft. Any help would be much appreciated!
Hmm. Google is not very helpful with Yarman geometric norm, which is strange.

I'd guess that normalization would just be dividing all impedances by the characteristic impedance of the system you are working with (50 Ohms or 75 Ohms, etc.). But I suppose it could be more complicated than that.

The manual doesn't list any references? Does the company still exist and have a website? If not, do you see any author names that you could try to figure out how to contact to ask your questions?
AlephZero
Jun21-14, 07:34 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,924
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
Hmm. Google is not very helpful with Yarman geometric norm, which is strange.
Try googling "yarman antenna".
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Design-Wideb.../dp/140208417X

berkeman
Jun22-14, 01:05 PM
Mentor
P: 40,649
Yarman Geometric Norm or Impedence Normalization

Thanks Aleph!
anothnagle
Jun23-14, 04:22 PM
P: 5
Oh, okay! That actually makes more sense considering that the software uses the real frequency technique.

Register to reply