The classically forbidden region

• Thread starter NEWO
  • Start date
In summary, the classically forbidden region is a region of a potential energy that is greater than the kinetic energy. To find the probability of being in this region, you need to use the hamiltonian operator to subtract the potential energy from the total energy.
NEWO
The classically forbidden region!

Hi guys I am new here, i understand that you can't give me an answer at all but i am really struggling with a particular question in quantum physics.

Q) Calculate for the ground state of the hydrogen atom the probability of finding the electron in the classically forbidden region.

I know that the classically forbidden region is where the potential energy is greater than the kinetic energy, I know that in QM the probability is the square of the modulus of the wavefunction, and the potential is coulombs potential, I just cannot figure out how to work this out.

I would appreciate help in this!

ps I know the wave function

Thanks for your time

newo

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi NEWO, you have your definitions a little bit backwards. Classically, the kinetic energy is a positive number thus the classically forbidden region is where the kinetic energy would be negative, or in other words where the potential energy is greater than the total energy. You know the potential energy as a function of r and you know the ground state energy so can you find this region?

By the way, welcome to PF and in the future you should try to post homework questions in the homework section, you'll get a quicker response.

Thanks for your quick reply and i will bare what you said in mind.

In my interpretation of what you have said;

The expected kinetic energy is the hamiltonian minus the potential;

int(wavefunction(h(bar)^2/2m*laplcian of the wavefunction))dr = E + int(ke^2/r*square of mod(wavefunction))dr

the total ground state energy is given as -13.5eV

I know this is a little messy but can you see if i am on the right track

I realize I will have to use spherical ploar coordinates in this

Thanks alot

newo

Physics Monkey said:
Hi NEWO, you have your definitions a little bit backwards. Classically, the kinetic energy is a positive number thus the classically forbidden region is where the kinetic energy would be negative, or in other words where the potential energy is greater than the total energy. You know the potential energy as a function of r and you know the ground state energy so can you find this region?
QUOTE]

I think i could find this would i need to use the hamiltonian operator? also how does finding the region leads to the probability of being in the region? do I have to put it into the wavefunction and then use the probability equation to find it?

thanks for your help

newo

1. What is the classically forbidden region?

The classically forbidden region is a concept in quantum mechanics that refers to a region of space where particles cannot exist or move. This is due to the fact that, according to classical physics, the energy of a particle would be negative in this region, which is not physically possible.

2. Why is the classically forbidden region important?

The concept of the classically forbidden region is important because it helps explain certain phenomena that cannot be explained by classical mechanics, such as the behavior of electrons in an atom. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum tunneling and in the interpretation of atomic spectra.

3. How is the classically forbidden region related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is because the act of measuring one of these properties affects the other. In the classically forbidden region, the uncertainty in the position of a particle is very large, making it impossible to accurately predict its momentum. This is one of the reasons why particles cannot exist or move in this region.

4. Can particles ever cross the classically forbidden region?

Yes, particles can cross the classically forbidden region through a process called quantum tunneling. This occurs when a particle has a very low probability of being found in the forbidden region, but still has a non-zero chance of passing through it due to its wave-like nature. This phenomenon has been observed in various experiments, such as in the tunneling of electrons through potential barriers.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the classically forbidden region?

Yes, the concept of the classically forbidden region has practical applications in fields such as electronics, where it is used in the design of tunneling diodes and transistors. It is also important in understanding the behavior of particles in nuclear reactions and in the development of new materials with unique electronic properties.