Radioactive material (e.g. Uranium) is placed into sealed box

In summary, Paul and Warren discuss the concept of a radioactive material (such as Uranium) placed in a sealed box and whether or not it would still radiate. Paul concludes that according to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the particles making up the uranium would not decide on a quantum state and thus would not radiate. However, Warren clarifies that this is not the case in reality as even in a sealed box, the sample will eventually radiate due to heat and interactions with air molecules. They also discuss the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics and its application in this scenario.
paulhunn
Would i be right in saying that if a radioactive material (e.g. Uranium) is placed into sealed box then it would not radiate? i came to this conclusion through the Heisenburg uncertainty principle. If the particles making up the uranium are not measured then they don't decide on a quantum state and so do not find themselves outside of the nucleus and radiate.
Sounds a bit strange that keeping a highly dangerous radioactive material in a box makes it safe so i think I've gone wrong somwhere.

Paul

Physics news on Phys.org
The sample may or may not radiate. If you treat the sealed sample as a quantum-mechanical entity, the sample exists in a superposition of states until it is actually measured. When it's measured, the universe conspires to decide whether it did or did not radiate.

At least, that's the Copenhagen interpretation of things, exemplified by the similar thought experiment about Schrondinger's cat.

- Warren

That is not correct.
A radioactive "sample" will radiate regardless of "observation"
Show me one qualified example that this is not true.

Well, pallidin, a real sample is, of course, not a quantum-mechanical entity. Even in its sealed container, heat from decays will eventually escape. Air molecules interacting with the sample on the inside of the container interact with the container itself, eliminating superpositions as they go.

That's why I prefaced my explanation with "if you treat the sample as a quantum-mechanical entity," something that can be done tacitly in a thought experiment, but cannot be done at all in reality.

Either way, putting the sample inside a box doesn't prevent it from radiating.

- Warren

Thanks for clearing that up Warren. I did mean more as a thought experiment than a real world experiment i was just trying to phrase it so you knew what i was trying to ask.

Thanks,
Paul

1. What are the potential hazards of placing radioactive material into a sealed box?

The potential hazards of placing radioactive material into a sealed box include the risk of radiation exposure if the material is not properly contained and shielded. Additionally, if the box is not sealed tightly enough, radioactive particles may leak out and contaminate the surrounding environment.

2. How is the radioactive material contained within the sealed box?

The radioactive material is typically contained within the sealed box using a combination of physical barriers and shielding materials. These barriers and materials are designed to prevent the escape of radioactive particles and reduce the level of radiation emitted from the box.

3. What precautions are taken to ensure the safety of those handling the sealed box?

When handling a sealed box containing radioactive material, it is important to follow proper safety protocols, such as wearing appropriate protective gear and using tools specifically designed for handling radioactive materials. The box should also be labeled with warning symbols and handled with care to avoid any potential leaks or breaks.

4. How is the level of radiation in the sealed box monitored?

The level of radiation inside the sealed box is typically monitored using specialized equipment, such as Geiger counters or radiation detectors. These devices can measure the amount of radiation emitted from the box and provide information on the potential health risks associated with handling the box.

5. What are the purposes of placing radioactive material into a sealed box?

There are several purposes for placing radioactive material into a sealed box, including storage, transportation, and disposal. By containing the material in a sealed box, the risk of radiation exposure is minimized and the material can be safely stored or transported to a designated location for disposal.