Trigonometric functions and radians

In summary, the equation cos (2v - \frac{\pi}{3}) = \cos v has solutions for v = \frac{\pi}{3} + 2\pi n and v = -\frac{\pi}{3} + 2\pi n, where n is any integer. This is due to the periodicity and symmetry of cosine, which allows for solutions to be found by adding or subtracting 2\pi from the original angle.
Mattara
Solve the following equation giving values from [tex]-\pi[/tex] to [tex]\pi[/tex]:

[tex]cos (2v - \frac{\pi}{3}) = \cos v [/tex]

Here is my attempt to solve it.

As the cosine of the two is the same, the angles should also be the same leaving

[tex]2v - \frac{\pi}{3} = v + 2 \pi n[/tex]

Then if I move the right over to the left, I get one of the correct solutions ([tex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]) and I know that the others is gotten by using the periodicity and the nature of cosine (being the same for both negative and positive values) although I'm not entirely sure on how to impletemt it.

I think that it the periodicity should be added to the right hand side as above.

Any hints or guidance is highly appreciated. Thank you for your time and have a nice day :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cos(x)=cos(y) is true if x=y+2[itex]\pi [/itex]n. But, as you point out, it's also true if x=-y, and so also if x=-y+2[itex]\pi [/itex]n. This exhausts the solutions.

I managed to figure it out. Thanks :)

Note to self: n can be -1 :eek:

1. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions relate the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides.

2. What is the unit of measurement for angles in trigonometry?

In trigonometry, angles are typically measured in radians. Radians are the standard unit of angular measurement in mathematics and are based on the radius of a circle.

3. How do you convert degrees to radians?

To convert degrees to radians, you can use the formula: radians = (pi/180) * degrees. This means that to convert a given angle from degrees to radians, you multiply the angle by pi and divide by 180.

4. What is the relationship between radians and the unit circle?

Radians are closely related to the unit circle, which is a circle with a radius of 1. The measure of an angle in radians is equal to the length of the arc on the unit circle that the angle subtends.

5. How are trigonometric functions used in real-world applications?

Trigonometric functions are used in many real-world applications, such as navigation, engineering, and physics. They can be used to solve problems involving angles and distances, and to model periodic phenomena such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves.