Does the mind peak at a certain age?

In summary: IQ is in the 20s. They also mention that "fluid intelligence" peaks somewhere between age 16-20, and overall in the mid 20s. Additionally, "crystalized" intelligence may increase during the entire lifetime, depending on what are you doing with your gray matter. Overall intelligence usually slowly decreases after 30s, however.
sean1234
What are the prerequisites for great new scientific ideas? Intelligence and creativity? Assuming these two variables-feel free to add more if you wish-does the mind ever peak at a certain age in either of these two areas, be it physically or simply subjectively? It seems the true geniuses do their great work in their 20s. Assuming Einstein took an interest in physics in his 30s or even 40s or 50s could he have done the same things he did?

Biology news on Phys.org
Well, I'm 50 and getting smarter every day (thanks in no small part to PF). Integral has to scrape the dinosaur **** off of the clay tablet to read his birth certificate, and he seems to be doing okay.

If we peak in our twenties, I'm past my prime-rib and am just aging-steak... which is still tasty. :biggrin:

There's a few factors I'm seriously thinking here...
Our health care and our nutrition is better... We now live longer and maybe that'll move the peak out to higher ages if there is such a thing (for geniuses... I was always dumb-as-doornails :yuck: ).
Mass media / consumerism might dumb us down sooner. Boredom likely does wonders for motivating us to use what brains/creativity we have.

As far as IQ, you are said to peak from 12 to 14 years of age. But I don't believe in that. I peaked early but I suffered at age 14 from possible brain damage from a temperature of 105 F for three days in a hospital and was unconscious the whole time. The doctor told my parents, the good news is that she's testing normal, so no brain damage. The bad news is that I wasn't normal before. :frown: My mental capacity, my ability for photographic memory was greatly diminished from that point on.

Last edited:
No help here.

sean1234 said:
No help here.
Well, then go do a google search.

Here's some more about it, but if you're looking for something else, you should do your own search.

http://www.albion.edu/psychology/fac_psyc/jwilson/psy101/intell.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
i think my intelligence (IQ) peaked at about 15 years of age, but my willingness to make good use of it increased for about 50 more years, so my success went way up afterwards, although it got harder.

e.g. in college i was proud of getting only a D in a math class when i had not atended any classes or read any of the book, just by psyching out a couple of problems on the test. maybe a D when you deserve an F is proof of raw intelligence, but it is also proof of foolishness par excellence.

much later with far fewer functioning brain cells i published research in algebraic geometry and obtained nsf grants. it aint about ego and games, but honest productivity.

Evo said:
As far as IQ, you are said to peak from 12 to 14 years of age. But I don't believe in that. I peaked early but I suffered at age 14 from possible brain damage from a temperature of 105 F for three days in a hospital and was unconscious the whole time. The doctor told my parents, the good news is that she's testing normal, so no brain damage. The bad news is that I wasn't normal before. :frown: My mental capacity, my ability for photographic memory was greatly diminished from that point on.
In the article you send link for stands that IQ reaches peak somewhere in 20s.Therefore ,not from 12 to 14 years of age.
I'm not an expert but currently I'm dating one :smile:
She says that "fluid intelligence" peaks somewhere between age 16-20 ,and overall in mid 20s.Depends on an individual.
"Cristalized" intelligence may increase during entire lifetime,depending on what are u doing with your gray matter.
Overall intelligence usually slowly decreases after 30s however.

Regards

Last edited:
tehno said:
In the article you send link for stands that IQ reaches peak somewhere in 20s.Therefore ,not from 12 to 14 years of age.
I'm not an expert but currently I'm dating one :smile:
She says that "fluid intelligence" peaks somewhere between age 16-20 ,and overall in mid 20s.Depends on an individual.
"Cristalized" intelligence may increase during entire lifetime,depending on what are u doing with your gray matter.
Overall intelligence usually slowly decreases after 30s however.

Regards

Ask your date if she is aware the "fluid/crystalized" approach is somewhat controversial.

I believe the current take on g and its development is that there is a "childhood" g which is sensitive to environment and probably associated with language development. It fades toward puberty and is overtaken by "adult" g which is more driven by heredity and which plateaus in the late twenties or thirties.

This view is partly based on the many "head-start" type initiatives, which were so successful for the children but whose good effects did not survive into the later teens.

tehno said:
It's been awhile since I read the study but I believe the 12-14 year old peak was in reference to "child geniuses", but I don't know how valid that is. Normal IQ would peak around 20. I realized I didn't make that clear.

But IQ wouldn't drop with age would it? I thought it was more of a plateau.

I believe that IQ is strongly correlated to stimulation. As we grow older, many of us just don't do as much learning as we did when we were young. Those that do, will have higher IQs.

i.e. use it or lose it.

1. What is the peak age for mental abilities?

The peak age for mental abilities is a complex and debated topic. While some studies suggest that cognitive abilities may peak in early adulthood, others suggest that it may continue to develop until middle age or even later in life. Additionally, the concept of "peak age" may vary depending on the specific cognitive ability being measured.

2. Can the mind continue to improve after the peak age?

There is evidence to suggest that certain cognitive abilities, such as wisdom and emotional intelligence, can continue to develop and improve even after the peak age for mental abilities. This is due to the brain's ability to reorganize and form new connections throughout life, known as neuroplasticity.

3. Does the peak age for mental abilities differ between men and women?

There is no consensus on whether the peak age for mental abilities differs between men and women. Some studies suggest that men may peak earlier in certain cognitive abilities, while women may peak later in others. However, other factors such as education and cultural influences may play a bigger role in cognitive development.

4. How does lifestyle and environment affect the peak age for mental abilities?

Research has shown that lifestyle and environmental factors, such as diet, exercise, and education, can have a significant impact on cognitive development and may influence the peak age for mental abilities. Engaging in activities that challenge the mind, such as learning a new skill or language, may also help maintain and improve cognitive abilities.

5. Is there a way to measure or predict an individual's peak age for mental abilities?

While there are standardized tests that measure cognitive abilities, there is no definitive way to predict an individual's peak age for mental abilities. Many factors, such as genetics, lifestyle, and environment, can influence cognitive development and make it challenging to determine a specific peak age for mental abilities. Additionally, cognitive abilities can fluctuate throughout life, making it difficult to pinpoint a single peak age.