Exploring the Second Law of Thermodynamics: Where Does Energy Go?

In summary, the Second Law of Thermodynamics states that energy is lost through the increase in disorder, or entropy. However, there is still a question of where the energy originally comes from, as the First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Some believe that the sum total of energy in the universe is zero, taking into account the negative energy of fields. This is a topic that is still being debated and researched.
Answerseeker18
Second Law of Thermodynamics, the theory of the loss of engery. But how do we know that the engery does not infact go somewhere after?

The First Law of Thermodynamics, it says that energy can't be created or destroyed. I understand that energy can not be destroyed..which coinsides with my first question. So my next question is where does the energy come from in the first place?

I've always wondered this, so could anyone help me out?

:uhh: :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
The second law of thermodynamics is about the loss of order (or increase in entropy), not energy.

As to where energy came from in the first place, I had always thought that the sum total of all the energy in the universe was zero, once you took into account the (negative) energy of fields and so forth. But this is coming from a very sketchy memory.

Claude.

I can provide some insights into the Second Law of Thermodynamics and the concept of energy loss. The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that in any natural process, the total amount of energy remains the same, but the quality of energy decreases. This means that energy will always spontaneously flow from a state of higher quality (such as a hot object) to a state of lower quality (such as a cooler object). This results in a decrease in the overall efficiency of the system.

Now, to address your question about where the energy goes after it is lost. The energy does not disappear completely, but it is typically converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. This is due to the natural tendency of systems to seek a state of equilibrium, where all energy is evenly distributed. This process is known as entropy.

As for your question about where the energy comes from in the first place, it ultimately comes from the sun. The sun is the ultimate source of energy for most processes on Earth, and through various mechanisms, this energy is converted and distributed to different systems. However, it is important to note that the total amount of energy in the universe remains constant, it simply changes forms.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of energy loss and its relation to the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Keep exploring and asking questions, as curiosity is the key to scientific discovery!

1. What is the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that in any spontaneous process, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that energy will naturally flow from places with higher concentrations to places with lower concentrations, until an equilibrium is reached.

2. How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics relate to energy?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics is closely related to energy because it dictates the direction in which energy flows. Energy will always flow from a higher concentration to a lower concentration until it reaches equilibrium, as dictated by the increase in entropy.

3. Can the Second Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

No, the Second Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature that cannot be violated. This means that in any isolated system, entropy will always increase and energy will always flow from higher concentrations to lower concentrations.

4. How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics impact living organisms?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics has a significant impact on living organisms, as it governs the flow of energy and the ability for organisms to maintain a state of order and complexity. Organisms must constantly take in energy and expend it in order to maintain their organization and counter the natural tendency towards disorder.

5. How is the Second Law of Thermodynamics applied in real-world situations?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics has numerous applications in the real world, from understanding heat engines and refrigeration systems, to the functioning of biological systems, and even global climate patterns. It is a fundamental principle that helps us understand and predict the behavior of energy and matter in our universe.