Manufacuring Thermionic Power Chips

• Thread starter Mad_Morlock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary: In summary, Eneco, a company owned and operated by MIT professors, developed a "Power Chip", but have had limited success in marketing the device because of their packaging technique. I believe I may have found a solution to their manufacturing trouble, but I need verification from outside sources. My idea is to rotate the diode interconnect assembly 90 degrees to bring it parallel to the substrate, which should make the process much easier to develop.
Mad_Morlock
Hello,

I'm new to this board, but I'd like to get some verification on an idea I'm working on.

In 2001, Eneco, a company owned and operated by Professors at MIT, delivered their "Power Chip", a semiconductor structure that delivers to the solid state realm the powers of a vacuum tube thermal diode.

However, their packaging technique has limited their ability to market the device. In the following 5 years, they still have not managed to make progress in this field.

I believe I may have found a solution to their manufacturing trouble, but I need verification from outside sources.

My idea is fairly basic. I want to rotate the diode interconnect assembly 90 degrees to bring it parallel to the substrate. This should make the process much easier to develop. Right now the device requires a laminating technique where the junctions are perpendicular to the substrate, which is very difficult to manufacture on such as small scale. I've included a couple pictures of broken open TECs (which use a perpendicular diode array manufacturing technique) as well as some lego designs of the new arrangement for visualization purposes. Please note that the final device would operate perpendicular to the heat source.

Please check out the images at http://morlock.newdor.com/

Thank you for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
So have you contacted the professors at MIT about this? Seems a much more constructive approach than posting here.

Several times, actually.

I leave a few messages, but still haven't received a response.

So why did you post here? Don't get me wrong, you are certainly welcome to post here in the PF. But if you have a fundamental improvement that can un-stick an important scientific endeavor, concentrate on the people who you can benifit the most, IMO.

Well, I'm trying, but I don't want to come across as foolish. Maybe I'm overlooking something relatively simple that puts a kibosh on the whole idea...

So I figured I'd bounce the idea off the internet while I was trying to get through to MIT.

Fair enough. But keep in mind that in the general case, when you see something that is important and helpful in a potentially money-making thing with scientists, your best option is to protect your intellectual property contribution to their effort, and then approach the scientists in a civil and timely way. You and they will gain no economic or scientific benefit from information posted first on the PF. But if your contribution to their work is valid and you protect it well and offer it to them in a constructive way, good things can follow.

I'm not really worried about someone stealing the idea.

MIT has 48 registered patents concerning this diode, I'm just proposing a different arrangement.

To be honest, I'd rather not be much involved with it at all, but I think I see something so I feel obligated to try to share it.

Are they applying the electrical field to the substraights directly? From the pictures I kinda think they are (and the word substraight implies it). This eliminates the need for interconnect (your yellow blocks) altogether and explains the perpendicular arrangement, no?

Also, are you sure small scale is the manufacturing issue? Those little blocks look 0201 size-ish. You'll find this size component in an iPod for example. Maybe the small size reduces the ability to deal with heat, and therefore power, which is not so much an interconnect issue per se.

From what I can see, the interconnect for the diode junction is where thermal evolution takes place. The substates are just an energy transfer medium (non-electrical) to even out the absorbtion of energy over the surface area.

You can't eliminate the interconnects. You'd remove the electrical path. Their basic packaging designs leave the interconnects in.

http://www.eneco.com/images/module_assby.gif"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are manufacturing thermionic power chips?

Manufacturing thermionic power chips are small electronic devices that convert heat energy into electrical energy. They are typically made up of a thermionic material, such as tungsten, that can emit electrons when heated and a collector material, such as silicon, that can capture those electrons to generate electricity.

2. How do manufacturing thermionic power chips work?

Manufacturing thermionic power chips work by utilizing the thermionic effect, which is the phenomenon of electrons being emitted from a hot surface. A voltage difference is created between the thermionic material and the collector material, causing the emitted electrons to travel from the hot surface to the cooler surface, generating electricity in the process.

3. What are the advantages of manufacturing thermionic power chips?

Manufacturing thermionic power chips have several advantages, including their high efficiency in converting heat energy into electricity, their small size and lightweight design, and their ability to operate in a wide range of temperatures. They also have a longer lifespan compared to traditional power generation technologies.

4. What are the potential applications of manufacturing thermionic power chips?

Manufacturing thermionic power chips have the potential to be used in various applications, such as in portable electronic devices, automotive and aerospace industries, and power generation for remote or off-grid locations. They can also be integrated into waste heat recovery systems to improve energy efficiency.

5. Are there any challenges in manufacturing thermionic power chips?

There are still some challenges in manufacturing thermionic power chips, such as finding suitable materials for high-temperature operation, optimizing the design for maximum efficiency, and developing cost-effective manufacturing processes. However, with ongoing research and advancements in technology, these challenges can be overcome to make thermionic power chips a viable and sustainable energy solution.