Vector Calculus Subscript Notation

In summary, the vector calculus subscript notation can be used to solve problems involving the dot product of cross products.
physics4life
Hi there is there a tutorial or post explaining vector calculus subscript notation please?
e.g. Eijk Kklm

dil djm etc etc

is there a tutorial explaining these thoroughly and how these can convert into div grad and curl??
i've used the search engine but can't seem to find them. thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks a lot for that. it does help but there is far too much information there. i was just looking for a general explanation of the fundamentals and how the notations can be used to solve questions such as proving that:

grad(A.B) = (B.Delta)A + (A.Delta)B + BX(CurlA) + AX(CurlB)

etc etc... any suggestions please?

im actually getting the hang of it now. but stuck on dot product of cross products..

e.g. show... (AXB) . (CXD) = (A.C)(B.D) - (A.D)(B.C)

here's what i have done but its partially correct.

[tex] (AXB)i = \varepsilon_{ijk}A_jB_k[/tex].
[tex] (CXD)i = \varepsilon_{ijk}C_jD_k[/tex]

so (AXB) . (CXD) = [tex] (\varepsilon_{ijk}A_jB_k)_i . (\varepsilon_{ijk}C_jD_k)_i [/tex]

= [tex]\varepsilon_{ijk}\varepsilon_{ijk}A_jC_jB_kD_k[/tex]

= [tex]( \delta_{ij} \delta_{jk} - \delta_{ik}\delta_{jj})(A.C)_j(B.D)k [/tex]

= [tex] [ \delta_{ij}(A.C)_j ][ \delta_{jk}(B.D)_k ] - [ \delta_{ik}(B.D)_k ][ \delta_{jj}(A.C)_j ] [/tex]

= [tex](A.C)_i(B.D)j - (B.D)_i(A.C)_j[/tex]

=(A.C)(B.D) - (B.D)(A.C)

the first part of the answer (in red) i got right.. but the 2nd part is wrong as you can see

how am i meant to get -(A.D)(B.C)?
thanks guys :) please help out

Is there anybody who knows how to calculate Eijk(ijk is sbuindex) times itself. The value is 6 but I need to prove that. Thanks

What is "Vector Calculus Subscript Notation"?

Vector Calculus Subscript Notation is a mathematical notation used in vector calculus to represent vectors and their components. It is a way of writing vector quantities in terms of their individual components, which are denoted by subscripts.

Why is "Vector Calculus Subscript Notation" used?

"Vector Calculus Subscript Notation" is used because it allows for a more concise and organized representation of vector quantities. It also makes it easier to perform vector operations and manipulate equations involving vectors.

How is "Vector Calculus Subscript Notation" written?

In "Vector Calculus Subscript Notation", a vector is written as a column matrix with its components listed as subscripts. For example, the vector v with components v1, v2, and v3 is written as v = [ v1, v2, v3 ]T, where T denotes the transpose.

What are the advantages of using "Vector Calculus Subscript Notation"?

Some advantages of using "Vector Calculus Subscript Notation" include its simplicity, compactness, and consistency. It also allows for a clearer representation of vector quantities and their relationships, making it easier to understand and work with vector calculus concepts.

Can "Vector Calculus Subscript Notation" be used for any type of vector?

Yes, "Vector Calculus Subscript Notation" can be used for any type of vector, including both two-dimensional and three-dimensional vectors. It is also applicable to both Cartesian and polar coordinate systems.