What is the magnitude of the impulse from the spike?

In summary: This can be done using the Pythagorean theorem:J=sqrt((-1.408)^2+(4.62)^2)=4.858kg(m/s)In summary, a volleyball with a mass of .22kg and initial speed of 6.4 m/s is spiked by a player, causing its velocity to change to 21 m/s downward. To find the magnitude of the impulse from the spike, the equation impulse=change in momentum=(mass)(final velocity)-(mass)(initial velocity) is used. Another method using coordinates is also correct, but requires finding the magnitude using the Pythagorean theorem. The correct answer is 4.858 kg(m/s).
andrewn

Homework Statement

A ball is traveling horizontally over a volleyball net when a player spikes it, driving it straight down to the ground. The ball's mass is .22kg, its speed before being hit is 6.4 m/s and its speed immediately after the spike is 21m/s. What is the magnitude of the impulse from the spike? I have two attempts at the solution but I was mainly wondering which attempt(s) is correct.

Homework Equations

impulse=change in momentum= (mass)(final velocity)-(mass)(initial velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

J=.22(21)-.22(6.4)=3.212kg(m/s)
I don't know if that is correct because a way I was given to do this was using coordinates:
.22(0,21)-.22(6.4,0)=(0,4.62)-(1.408,0)=(-1.408,4.62)kg(m/s)

Physics news on Phys.org
Initially, it was traveling horizontally

and after the applied force, the direction changed by 90 degrees.

and impulse is a vector quantity, so you need to take of directions also,.

so your expression would be:
J=.22(21[down])-.22(6.4
)​

andrewn said:
J=.22(21)-.22(6.4)=3.212kg(m/s)
I don't know if that is correct because a way I was given to do this was using coordinates:
.22(0,21)-.22(6.4,0)=(0,4.62)-(1.408,0)=(-1.408,4.62)kg(m/s)
The first way is not correct, since it ignores the fact that momentum (and velocity) is a vector--direction counts. The second method, using components, is correct. (Except for a minus sign, since the final velocity is 21 m/s down.)

To complete the solution, you need to find the magnitude of the impulse, not just the components.

What is the magnitude of the impulse from the spike?

The magnitude of the impulse from the spike refers to the strength or intensity of the sudden change in momentum that occurs when a spike is delivered. It can be measured in units of force multiplied by time, such as Newton-seconds or pound-seconds.

How is the magnitude of the impulse from the spike calculated?

The magnitude of the impulse from the spike can be calculated by multiplying the average force applied during the spike by the duration of the spike. This can be measured using specialized equipment such as force plates or high-speed cameras.

What factors can affect the magnitude of the impulse from the spike?

The magnitude of the impulse from the spike can be affected by various factors such as the speed and angle of the spike, the weight and strength of the player delivering the spike, and the type and condition of the playing surface. It can also be influenced by external factors like wind or moisture.

Why is the magnitude of the impulse from the spike important?

The magnitude of the impulse from the spike is important because it can impact the outcome of a game or match. A stronger and more accurate spike can result in a point for the player's team, while a weaker or poorly timed spike can lead to a point for the opposing team. It can also affect the physical well-being of the players involved.

How can the magnitude of the impulse from the spike be improved?

The magnitude of the impulse from the spike can be improved through proper training and technique. This includes developing strength and power in the muscles involved in the spike, as well as improving coordination and timing. It can also be enhanced by using appropriate equipment, such as shoes with good traction and a well-inflated ball.