Diffraction limit on resolution

In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum aperture of a camera lens needed to achieve a certain resolution for spy planes flying at high altitudes. The correct answer is found using the Rayleigh criterion and the small angle approximation, resulting in a minimum aperture of .326 meters.
mrbling
Q:Spy planes fly at extremely high altitudes (25.3 km) to avoid interception. Their cameras are reportedly able to discern features as small as 5.20 cm. What must be the minimum aperture of the camera lens to afford this resolution? (Use lambda = 550 nm.)

I first found theta.. .052m/2 = .026m (since .026 above and below the center = .052m)
tan theta = .026m/25300m, and theta = 4.578x10^-5

Then plugging into the rayleigh criterion for resolution limit of theta = 1.22lamda/D, where D is the diameter of the objective lens (same as aperture of camera??)... I get
theta = 1.22lamda/D
4.578x10^-5 = 1.22(550x10^-9)/D
D= .0147m, which is incorrect..

anyone know where I went wrong?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I get d = .326m using
[tex] sin \theta = 1.22\frac{\lambda}{d}[/tex]
and letting [tex] \theta = arctan \left( \frac{.052}{25300}\right)[/tex]
so:
[tex] d = \frac{1.22x5.5x10^{-7}}{sin({arctan \left( \frac{.052}{25300}\right)})} = .326m[/tex]

Not sure though. Do you know what the answer is supposed to be?

Gnome,
Your answer was the correct one. I tried your process earlier, but I think I was confusing the theta since it was given in radians as opposed to doing sin theta for the degrees..

Thanks!

You can get the same answer using the [tex]\theta=sin\theta[/tex] small angle approximation, but then you have to be consistent & do the arctan calculation in radians also.

So [tex]\theta = arctan \left(\frac{.026}{25300}\right) = 2.0553x10^{-6}[/tex]

and [tex]d = \frac{1.22x5.5x10^{-7}}{\theta} = .326 m [/tex]

Gnome's answer in slightly more legible LaTeX:

gnome said:
You can get the same answer using the [itex]\theta=\sin\theta[/itex] small angle approximation, but then you have to be consistent & do the arctan calculation in radians also.

So

[tex]\theta = \arctan \left(\frac{.026}{25300}\right) = 2.0553\times 10^{-6}[/tex]

and

[tex]d = \frac{1.22\times 5.5\times 10^{-7}}{\theta} = .326\,\mbox{m}[/tex]

Last edited:

What is the diffraction limit on resolution?

The diffraction limit on resolution is the smallest distance between two objects that can be distinguished by a microscope or other optical instrument. It is determined by the wavelength of light being used and the numerical aperture of the lens.

Why is the diffraction limit important?

The diffraction limit is important because it sets a fundamental limit on the ability of optical instruments to resolve small details. It determines the clarity and sharpness of images produced by these instruments.

How is the diffraction limit calculated?

The diffraction limit is calculated using the Rayleigh criterion, which states that the minimum resolvable distance is equal to the wavelength of light divided by twice the numerical aperture of the lens. This can be expressed as: d = λ / (2 * NA).

What factors affect the diffraction limit on resolution?

The diffraction limit on resolution is affected by the wavelength of light being used, the numerical aperture of the lens, and the quality of the lens. Higher numerical apertures and shorter wavelengths result in a smaller diffraction limit and better resolution. In addition, the presence of aberrations in the lens can also impact the diffraction limit.

How can the diffraction limit be overcome?

The diffraction limit can be overcome by using techniques such as super-resolution microscopy, which use specialized methods to surpass the diffraction limit and achieve even higher resolution. These techniques may include using multiple light sources, exploiting the properties of fluorescent molecules, or using computational algorithms to enhance the resolution of images.