Need help with a force vs time graph.

In summary, the conversation discusses a force vs time graph and determining which interval corresponds to the greatest change in the speed of the body. The solution involves looking at the relationship between force and acceleration and carefully examining the graph to determine the correct interval.
Bensky
[SOLVED] Need help with a force vs time graph. :(

Homework Statement

Which interval in Fig. MC3 corresponds to the greatest change in the speed of the body?
4-MC3.gif

Figure MC3 is above.

a) 1-2s
b) 0-1s
c) 2-3s

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that 1-2s has the greatest slope of the three, would that indicate that it has the greatest change in speed? It seems logical to me but I don't really understand this graph, so I don't want to guess and get the wrong answer (this is my last try to get it right). It seems like it would be really simple.

Attachments

• 4-MC3.gif
    4-MC3.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
Bensky said:

Homework Equations

None

Wrong. What is the fundamental equation that relates force, mass and acceleration?

berkeman has it quite correct. Look at the relationship between force and rate of change of velocity (acceleration).

P.S. strictly this should be rate of change of momentum, but I won't confuse the issue ;-)

Edit: also, are you sure that the 1-2 second interval has the highest slope (gradient)? Look carefully.

Last edited:
OJones said:
berkeman has it quite correct. Look at the relationship between force and rate of change of velocity (acceleration).

P.S. strictly this should be rate of change of momentum, but I won't confuse the issue ;-)

Edit: also, are you sure that the 1-2 second interval has the highest slope (gradient)? Look carefully.

Thank you. :) solved

1. What is a force vs time graph?

A force vs time graph is a visual representation of the relationship between the force applied to an object and the time it takes for that force to act. It shows how the force changes over time and can be used to analyze the motion and behavior of objects.

2. How do you read a force vs time graph?

To read a force vs time graph, the force is typically represented on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The slope of the graph represents the acceleration of the object, with a steeper slope indicating a higher acceleration. The area under the graph represents the impulse, or the change in momentum, of the object.

3. What can a force vs time graph tell us?

A force vs time graph can tell us about the motion and behavior of an object. It can show us the acceleration, velocity, and displacement of the object over time. It can also help us understand the forces acting on the object and how they change over time.

4. How do you calculate the slope of a force vs time graph?

The slope of a force vs time graph can be calculated by taking the change in force (y-axis) divided by the change in time (x-axis). This is also known as rise over run or the average rate of change.

5. How do you interpret the area under a force vs time graph?

The area under a force vs time graph represents the impulse or change in momentum of an object. This means that the larger the area, the greater the change in momentum of the object. The shape of the area can also give insight into the type of force acting on the object.