Frist Law of Thermodynamics.

This equation tells us that the change in internal energy of the control volume is equal to the rate of heat conduction out of the control volume, plus any power production within the control volume.Finally, let's consider convection/conduction. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid. In this case, the rate of heat transfer is given by Newton's Law of Cooling:\vec{J}_{convection} = h(T_{s}-T_{\infty})Where $\vec{J}_{convection}$ is the heat flux, $h$ is the convective heat transfer coefficient, $T_{s
splitringtail

Homework Statement

Derive the heat equation for

Conduction

Convection/Condution

Homework Equations

The First Law of Thermodynamics

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the form of the 1st Law that we have been working with.

[tex]\frac{\partial E_{cv}}{\partial t}= \dot{Q_{cv}}-\dot{W_{cv}}+\dot{m_{in}}\left(h_{in}+\frac{v^{2}_{in}}{2} + gz_{in}\right)+\dot{m_{out}}\left(h_{out}+\frac{v^{2}_{out}}{2} + gz_{out}\right) + PowerProduction[/tex]

However, I know I need it in the integral form and use Gauss's Theorem, but I am not sure of what it looks like in integral form. It is in none of my texts... so here's a stab at it... I think I am just not sure about the left hand side of the equation

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int \rho\left[u + \frac{v^{2}}{2} + g z\right] dr =-\int \vec{J}_{conduction} \bullet d\vec{s} - \int \vec{J}_{convection}\bullet d\vec{s}+ PowerProduction [/tex]

CV stands for control volume and I just used a bullet to represent a dot product.

Physics news on Phys.org

I can help you derive the heat equation for conduction and convection/conduction. Let's start with the basics: the First Law of Thermodynamics. This law states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system, plus any mass flow in or out of the system, plus any power production within the system. In equation form, this can be written as:

\frac{\partial E_{cv}}{\partial t}= \dot{Q_{cv}}-\dot{W_{cv}}+\dot{m_{in}}\left(h_{in}+\frac{v^{2}_{in}}{2} + gz_{in}\right)+\dot{m_{out}}\left(h_{out}+\frac{v^{2}_{out}}{2} + gz_{out}\right) + PowerProduction

Where $E_{cv}$ is the internal energy of the control volume, $\dot{Q_{cv}}$ is the heat added to the control volume, $\dot{W_{cv}}$ is the work done by the control volume, $\dot{m_{in}}$ and $\dot{m_{out}}$ are the mass flow rates in and out of the control volume, $h$ is the enthalpy, $v$ is the velocity, $g$ is the gravitational acceleration, and $PowerProduction$ is any power produced within the control volume.

Now, let's focus on conduction. Conduction is the transfer of heat within a material or between two materials in direct contact. The rate of heat conduction is given by Fourier's Law:

\vec{J}_{conduction} = -k\nabla T

Where $\vec{J}_{conduction}$ is the heat flux, $k$ is the thermal conductivity of the material, and $\nabla T$ is the temperature gradient. This equation tells us that heat will flow from regions of high temperature to regions of low temperature, with the rate of heat transfer depending on the thermal conductivity of the material.

To incorporate this into our First Law equation, we can rewrite it in integral form and use Gauss's Theorem:

\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int \rho u dV =-\int \vec{J}_{conduction} \bullet d\vec{s} + PowerProduction

Where $\rho$ is the density,

What is the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics, also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

What does the First Law of Thermodynamics mean for energy use?

The First Law of Thermodynamics has important implications for energy use, as it reminds us that energy is a finite resource and must be used efficiently. This means that energy cannot be wasted or used in an unsustainable manner, as it will eventually run out.

How does the First Law of Thermodynamics relate to the concept of entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. The First Law of Thermodynamics tells us that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can change form. As energy is transformed, it often leads to an increase in entropy, which is why the universe is constantly moving towards a state of maximum disorder.

Can the First Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

No, the First Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental law of physics and has been repeatedly confirmed through experiments and observations. It is considered a universal law that applies to all physical systems.

How does the First Law of Thermodynamics apply to living organisms?

The First Law of Thermodynamics applies to living organisms as it does to all physical systems. Organisms must obtain and use energy efficiently in order to survive and maintain their biological processes. The energy they use is ultimately derived from the sun and is constantly being converted and transferred through various biological processes.