Why Is My Pee Turning Yellow After Taking Vitamin B?

• Thread starter xerox2ooo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turning
In summary, taking Vitamin B supplements can cause your urine to turn yellow due to the high levels of riboflavin (Vitamin B2) in the supplement. Riboflavin is a water-soluble vitamin that is not stored in the body, so any excess is excreted through urine, giving it a bright yellow color. This is a normal and harmless side effect of taking Vitamin B, and does not indicate any health concerns. However, if you are concerned about the color of your urine, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional.
xerox2ooo
Why is my pee becoming more yellowish after taking vitamin B

Any explain?

Biology news on Phys.org
Vitamin B-2 is the yellow colored B vitamin and is the one responsible for making your urine yellow. If you are taking B-2 vitamin it will become more yellow, this is harmless and indicates that the body is excreting excess vitamin B2. An increase in liquid intake will bring the urine back to near normal colour. If on the other hand your urine is not yellow you may not be getting enough B-2.

It seems a great proof that if you take too much of a water soluble vitamin, you're just pouring your money down the drain, literally...LOL! I hadn't bought any sort of vitamins for a long time until about a month or so ago when I was feeling a bit of lack of energy and thought I'd check out the B-complex options. I found myself incredibly frustrated reading the labels of the vitamins as they all had contents of things like 3000% or 6000% of the RDA of various vitamins! What a waste! All I wanted was something with perhaps 50% or 75%. I know I get some in my diet and just wanted to bump it up a little to make sure I was getting enough of the ones I thought were a little lacking in my diet. It's an even scarier thought with lipid soluble vitamins that you really can overdose on.

Moonbear said:
It seems a great proof that if you take too much of a water soluble vitamin, you're just pouring your money down the drain, literally...LOL! I hadn't bought any sort of vitamins for a long time until about a month or so ago when I was feeling a bit of lack of energy and thought I'd check out the B-complex options. I found myself incredibly frustrated reading the labels of the vitamins as they all had contents of things like 3000% or 6000% of the RDA of various vitamins! What a waste! All I wanted was something with perhaps 50% or 75%. I know I get some in my diet and just wanted to bump it up a little to make sure I was getting enough of the ones I thought were a little lacking in my diet. It's an even scarier thought with lipid soluble vitamins that you really can overdose on.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you.

I also took these vitamins for same reason as yours; however, I kinda feel more tired after taking these vitamin Bs. I don't know whether that's because body's kinda adjusting to excessive vitamin or it is kinda side effect of these vitamins.

I read about these vitamins and they all said that it is very rare to have side effect from vitamin B.

Well, i don't know.

By the way, thanks for your kind replies.

Vitamin A is one to especially look out for, it is fat-soluble (so the body can't get rid of it easily), and it easy to take more than is good for you.

Optimum daily doses of nutrients

Moonbear said:
I found myself incredibly frustrated reading the labels of the vitamins as they all had contents of things like 3000% or 6000% of the RDA of various vitamins! What a waste!
Is it? Michael Clive Price comes to a http://www.quantium.cwc.net/lr91.htm . Check out his table of Extrapolated Optimal Daily Doses:

B1 (thiamine) 3 – 8 g
B2 (riboflavin) 10 g [his table says "10 mg", but I assume that is a typo]
B3 (niacin) 5 g
B5 (pantothenate) 120 mg
B6 (pyridoxine) 720 mg
B7 (biotin) 3 - 9 mg
B9 (folate) 926 ug
Vitamin C 2.5 g

(For perspective, 8 grams per day of thiamine would be 533,333% of the USRDA of 1.5 mg.)

All I wanted was something with perhaps 50% or 75%.
You might achieve that by consuming fractional doses. In the case of LEF's Mix, wherein each official daily dose is 14 capsules, a fractional daily dose of 1 capsule would provide you with only 595, 210, 67, and 357 percents, respectively, of vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B6. If you want less than that, you could purchase the powdered form (flavored with stevia to counteract the bitter taste) of the same formulation and take as small a dose as you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you read that table carefully, you'd note the method of calculating optimal doses is also flawed. For B3, the "optimal dose" of 5 g falls within the toxic range indicated of 3-6 g. The dosages recommended for B1 are not based on any evidence of benefits in normal subjects, but rather cite references suggesting that high doses may have "some" effect in Alzheimer's patients. Those studies are clearly suggesting these are pharmacological effects, not physiological (in other words, when you give anything well beyond the normal range, it can have some different effects than it normally has in healthy subjects). But at least that site was kind enough to supply their references so you can check out their misinterpretations of the literature.

I haven't seen any vitamins locally that have such low percentages in each capsule, or else I would have done that. I don't know how uniform the ingredients are distributed in each pill, so can't be sure that taking a half or quarter of a tablet would really be half or quarter the dose of all the included vitamins.

Afraid I have to cut this short as I'm looking at the time and have to be somewhere else very soon.

General multivitamin/mineral tablets generally have less of each nutrient than tablets made for specific nutrients or nutrient groups.

The reason you take 5000-6000% of a given RDA, and a potentially toxic dose, is that so much of it is simply removed from the body without ever being absorbed. What you actually incorporate into your cells and use is then somewhat close to the RDA.

1. Why does my pee turn yellow after taking vitamin B?

This is a common occurrence and is completely normal. Vitamin B, specifically riboflavin (B2), is known to give urine a bright yellow color. This is because riboflavin is a water-soluble vitamin, meaning it dissolves in water and is easily excreted through urine. As a result, it can give urine a more vibrant color.

2. Is it dangerous for my pee to turn yellow after taking vitamin B?

No, it is not dangerous. As mentioned before, this is a normal reaction to taking vitamin B. However, if your urine is a dark or bright yellow, it may indicate dehydration and you should drink more water.

3. How much vitamin B do I need to take for my pee to turn yellow?

The amount of vitamin B needed for your urine to turn yellow can vary based on factors such as your diet, metabolism, and the specific type of vitamin B you are taking. In general, the recommended daily intake for riboflavin (B2) is 1.3 mg for men and 1.1 mg for women.

4. Can other vitamins or medications also turn my pee yellow?

Yes, there are other vitamins and medications that can cause changes in urine color. For example, taking high doses of vitamin C can cause urine to appear more orange. Certain medications, such as some antibiotics, can also give urine a different hue. If you are concerned about the color of your urine, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional.

5. How long will my pee stay yellow after taking vitamin B?

The yellow color in urine from taking vitamin B is typically temporary and will go away once the vitamin is excreted from your body. However, if you are taking high doses of vitamin B, the yellow color may be more persistent. If you are experiencing prolonged changes in urine color, it is best to consult with a healthcare professional.