How to find acceleration in a pulley problem involving rotation?

In summary, the problem involves a mass m1 sitting on a frictionless surface, connected by a string to a mass m2 hanging in space over a pulley. The pulley is a solid disk with a mass of Mp = 5.42 kg and a radius of Rp = 37.9 cm. The question is asking for the acceleration of the masses. The solution involves finding the torque of the pulley, then using the equation a = R\alpha to find the acceleration, and finally solving for a using the equation m2g = a (m2 + m1 + I/R^2). After some algebraic manipulation, the solution is found to be a = 2.971 m/s^2. It
greyradio
[SOLVED] Pulley problem (Rotation)

Mass m1 = 9.07 kg sits on a frictionless, horizontal surface. A massless string is tied to m1, passes over a pulley (a solid disk of mass Mp = 5.42 kg and radius Rp = 37.9 cm), and is tied to m2 = 6.94 kg hanging in space.

Find the acceleration of the masses.

It seems I'm having some trouble with this problem. I'm not sure if my algebra is right or if I am doing the wrong thing with the moment of Inertia. I was hoping someone could help me.

torque = I [tex]\alpha[/tex]
T = ma
a = R[tex]\alpha[/tex]My attempt is as follows:

The question assumes that there are non-slip conditions and it starts from rest.

1 . First, I find the pulley's torque

T1 = ma
T2 = mg - ma
torque = I [tex]\alpha[/tex]
r T = I [tex]\alpha[/tex]
T2 R - T1 R = I [tex]\alpha[/tex]

2. Second, I find the acceleration.

a = R [tex]\alpha[/tex]
a / R = [tex]\alpha[/tex]

3. Third, I solve for a.

T2 R - T1 R = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
R (T2 - T1) = I (a/R)
T2 - T1 = I (a/R) / R
T2 - T1 = I a / R[tex]^{2}[/tex]
m2g-m2a - m1a = I a/R[tex]^{2}[/tex]
m2g = m2a + m1a + I a/R[tex]^{2}[/tex]
m2g = a (m2 + m1 + I /R[tex]^{2}[/tex]
m2g / m2 + m1 + I / R[tex]^{2}[/tex] = a
(6.49)(9.81) / (I/R[tex]^{2}[/tex]) + 9.07 +6.94 = a
I = mass of pulley * radius[tex]^{2}[/tex]
I = (5.42 kg)(.379 m)[tex]^{2}[/tex]
I = .7785

(6.49)(9.81) / (.7785/.379[tex]^{2}[/tex]) + 9.07+6.94 = a
63.667 / 5.420 + 9.07 + 6.94 =
63.667/21.43 = 2.971 m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's OK except for the moment of inertia of a disk. it's I = (1/2)mR^2.
I would also use more parentheses and write m2g / (m2 + m1 + I / R^2) instead of
m2g / m2 + m1 + I / R^2

yeah I'm sorry i had to edit it a few times since some of the subscripts were displayed oddly. It worked out it thanks a lot for your help.

1. What is a pulley problem (rotation)?

A pulley problem (rotation) is a type of physics problem that involves calculating rotational motion and forces in a system involving one or more pulleys. Pulleys are simple machines that use a wheel and rope or belt to change the direction or magnitude of a force.

2. How do I solve a pulley problem (rotation)?

To solve a pulley problem (rotation), you will need to use equations of rotational motion, such as torque and angular velocity, and apply them to the specific system of pulleys. You may also need to use concepts like conservation of energy and Newton's laws of motion. It is important to draw a clear diagram of the system and label all forces acting on the pulleys and any connected objects.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving pulley problems (rotation)?

Some common mistakes when solving pulley problems (rotation) include not properly considering the direction of forces, not correctly identifying the pulley as a rotational system, and not correctly applying equations of rotational motion. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and double-check all calculations and assumptions.

4. Can I use the same equations for both fixed and movable pulleys in a pulley problem (rotation)?

Yes, the same equations for rotational motion can be used for both fixed and movable pulleys in a pulley problem (rotation). However, the number of pulleys and the arrangement of the system may affect the specific equations that need to be used. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and choose the appropriate equations for the given scenario.

5. Are there any real-life applications of pulley problems (rotation)?

Yes, pulley problems (rotation) have many real-life applications, such as in cranes, elevators, and other lifting systems. Pulleys are also used in many machines, such as bicycles and cars, to transfer power and change the direction of forces. Understanding how to solve pulley problems (rotation) is important for engineers and scientists in various fields.