Signal, noise, and, unequal variances

In summary, the conversation discusses two overlapping Gaussian distributions for probability of noise and signal events. The noise distribution has a mean of 0, variance of 1, and standard deviation of 1, while the signal distribution has a mean of 0.80, variance of 3, and standard deviation of √3. The criterion (λ) is located at 0.5 standard deviations above the mean on the noise distribution. To calculate probability of a hit (PH) and probability of a false alarm (PF), the PCorrect Rejection and Z to % conversion table are used. The resulting values are PF = 0.31 and PH = 0.57. To sketch the overlapping distributions, the signal distribution is drawn
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have two overlapping Gaussian distributions. One for probability of a noise event, one for probability of a signal event.
My noise distribution has mean = 0, variance = 1, and standard deviation = 1.
My signal distribution has mean = .80, variance = 3, and standard deviation = √3.

My criterion (λ ) is at 0.5 standard deviations above the mean on the noise distribution.

I need to calculate probability of a hit (PH) and probability of a false alarm (PF).

To get PF , I use 1- PCorrect Rejection, or 1 – Ф(0.5), which, using a Z to % conversion table, gives me 1- 0.691 = 0.31. (In my book, Ф(Z) just means converting a Z-score to % of area under the curve.)

To get PH, I first need to standardize the Z score for λ on the signal distribution since it has a different variance:

λ = (λ - μsignal)/σ signal = (0.5-0.8) / √3 = - 0.173

PH = 1 - Ф(-0.173) or by symmetry, PH = Ф(0.173) = 0.57. (again, using a Z to % conversion table to look up the area.)

So.. PF = = 0.31 and PH = 0.57.

I'm not sure if I did this right. I am shaky with unequal variances. If someone could check I'd appreciate it.

I need to sketch the overlapping distributions. Since I have standardized the z-score on the signal distribution, do I make it look identical to the noise curve (with a standard deviation of 1), or do I draw it short and wide as it is originally described?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you did the calculations correctly! To sketch the overlapping distributions, draw the noise distribution with a standard deviation of 1 and then draw the signal distribution with the specified standard deviation (√3). You can make the shapes the same and just adjust the size to represent the different standard deviations. Good luck!

1. What is the difference between signal and noise?

Signal refers to the true underlying data or information that we are trying to measure. Noise refers to any random or irrelevant factors that can affect the measurement or observation. In other words, signal is the meaningful and important information, while noise is the unwanted and potentially misleading information.

2. How can we distinguish between signal and noise in our data?

This can be done through statistical analysis and techniques such as signal-to-noise ratio. Signal-to-noise ratio is a measure of the strength of the signal compared to the level of noise present in the data. A higher signal-to-noise ratio indicates a clearer and more reliable signal. Additionally, the use of control groups and replicates can also help identify and reduce the effects of noise in our data.

3. What are unequal variances in data?

Unequal variances refer to the unequal dispersion or spread of data points in different groups or treatments. This can occur when the standard deviations of the data are not equal, indicating that the amount of variability in one group is different from another group. Unequal variances can affect the statistical analysis and interpretation of results, particularly in hypothesis testing and confidence intervals.

4. How do unequal variances affect statistical tests?

Unequal variances can impact the accuracy and reliability of statistical tests, particularly those that assume equal variances in the data. This includes tests such as t-tests and ANOVA. When unequal variances are present, it is important to use appropriate statistical tests or adjust for unequal variances using techniques such as Welch's t-test or the Brown-Forsythe test.

5. How can we reduce the effects of unequal variances in our data?

There are several ways to address unequal variances, including transforming the data, using non-parametric tests, or adjusting for unequal variances in the statistical analysis. It is also important to carefully design experiments and studies to minimize potential sources of unequal variances, such as using randomization and controlling for confounding variables.