Springs - simple harmonic motion

In summary, the question is asking about the work done to a spring by air pressure in a pressure gauge. The only given variable is distance (x) and the equations provided are W = 1/2kx^2 and Fx = kx. Without the value of k, it is not possible to find the work done. The answer would depend on the specific function of the pressure gauge and how it measures and displays air pressure.
tascja
my question is: is there a way to find the work done to a spring when the only variable given is the distance (x)??

Homework Statement

For the pressure gauge, what work is done by the air on the spring?

Homework Equations

W = 1/2kx2
Fx = kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't really attempt anything because i don't have k, its not given and I am not sure how to find it??

Physics news on Phys.org
If it is a pressure gauge what is it you would expect such a device to do? Will it measure say something like the pressure of the air? When it does that will it give a reading? What work will the air have done to affect that reading from the normal state?

Is there a diagram and more to the problem or just a general question about what work air pressure does inside a gauge?

The question doesn't give any other information so i think your right, they just want a general answer. thanks i was freaking out because they didnt give enough info!

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of oscillatory motion in which a particle moves back and forth around a fixed equilibrium position. It is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and a constant frequency of oscillation.

2. How does a spring exhibit simple harmonic motion?

A spring exhibits simple harmonic motion when it is stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position and then released. The force exerted by the spring is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position, causing the spring to oscillate back and forth with a constant frequency.

3. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion in a spring?

The equation for simple harmonic motion in a spring is x = A*cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from the equilibrium position, A is the amplitude of the oscillation, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its simple harmonic motion on a spring?

The mass of an object does not affect the frequency of its simple harmonic motion on a spring. However, a greater mass will result in a greater amplitude of oscillation and a longer period of oscillation.

5. How can the energy of a spring's simple harmonic motion be calculated?

The energy of a spring's simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2*k*A^2, where k is the spring constant and A is the amplitude of the oscillation. This formula takes into account the potential energy stored in the spring and the kinetic energy of the oscillating mass.