Proving the Supremum Property in Real Analysis: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the problem we are trying to solve is that if A is a nonempty subset of the real numbers and α is the supremum of A, then for every ε>0 there is an a in A such that α-ε<a<α. We are trying to prove the converse, that if for every ε>0 there is an a in A such that α-ε<a<α, then α is the supremum of A.
pzzldstudent
I am really having a hard time in this intro to real analysis class. I feel as if I'm the only one in class who isn't getting it. I have an extremely hard time thinking abstractly and constructing my own proofs. I know I need a lot of practice. Here is the problem we have to prove:Claim: Let A be a nonempty subset of R (all real numbers -- how do I type the symbol for real numbers?). If α = sup A is finite, show that for each ε > 0, there is an a in A such that α – ε < a ≤ α.

My attempt of a proof: Assume α = sup A is finite. Then A is bounded above because it is not empty and its supremum is finite (by the definition that if E is a nonempty subset of R (all reals), we set sup E = ∞ if E is not bounded above). [my question is where does the “ε” come from?] By definition of supremum, there is an element ß in R such that ß < α and ß is not an upper bound. In this case let ε be the ß where ε > 0. Knowing α is the supremum, ε < α, so there is an element a in A such that ε < a ≤ α or α – ε < a ≤ α.

*I also need to prove the converse of this statement which is:
"Let A be a nonempty subset of R (all real numbers) that is bounded above by α. Prove that if for every ε > 0 there is an a in A such that α – ε < a ≤ α, then α = sup A."

When proving the converse, isn't it just basically working backwards?
So I would write: Assume that for every ε > 0 there is an a in A such that α – ε < a ≤ α.
A is nonempty and bounded above by α (given). Then α = sup A is finite by the definition of supremum.

I feel really confused and lost here. I'm really afraid of this class. I need to pass it because it is only offered every 2 years.

Any help, suggestions, and guidance is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pzzldstudent said:
I am really having a hard time in this intro to real analysis class. I feel as if I'm the only one in class who isn't getting it. I have an extremely hard time thinking abstractly and constructing my own proofs. I know I need a lot of practice. Here is the problem we have to prove:

Claim: Let A be a nonempty subset of R (all real numbers -- how do I type the symbol for real numbers?). If α = sup A is finite, show that for each ε > 0, there is an a in A such that α – ε < a ≤ α.

My attempt of a proof: Assume α = sup A is finite. Then A is bounded above because it is not empty and its supremum is finite (by the definition that if E is a nonempty subset of R (all reals), we set sup E = ∞ if E is not bounded above). [my question is where does the “ε” come from?] By definition of supremum, there is an element ß in R such that ß < α and ß is not an upper bound. In this case let ε be the ß where ε > 0. Knowing α is the supremum, ε < α, so there is an element a in A such that ε < a ≤ α or α – ε < a ≤ α.

Your basic idea is good but you cannot say "let [itex]\epsilon[/itex] be" something. You have to show that this is true no matter what [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is. I would have started a little differently:
Given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], α- [itex]\epsilon[/itex]< α so is not an upper bound on A. Since it is not an upperbound, there exist x in A such that x> α-[itex]\epsilon[/itex].

I have to prove this same question for my real analysis class. My is at the graduate level and I feel like a complete idiot (however, I know I am not) Help me too.

1. What is the purpose of an "Intro to Real Analysis Proof"?

The purpose of an "Intro to Real Analysis Proof" is to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and techniques used in mathematical proofs in the context of real analysis. This includes topics such as logic, sets, functions, and the real number system.

2. What are the key elements of a proof in real analysis?

The key elements of a proof in real analysis include defining and understanding the problem, using logical reasoning to reach a conclusion, and providing clear and concise explanations for each step in the proof. It also involves using mathematical notation and symbols effectively to communicate ideas and concepts.

3. How is real analysis different from other branches of mathematics?

Real analysis is different from other branches of mathematics in that it focuses on the study of real numbers and their properties, as well as the functions and operations that can be performed on them. It also heavily relies on the use of proofs to demonstrate the validity of mathematical statements and theorems.

4. What are some common proof techniques used in real analysis?

Some common proof techniques used in real analysis include direct proof, proof by contradiction, mathematical induction, and proof by counterexample. Other techniques may also be used depending on the specific problem being solved.

5. How can one improve their skills in writing proofs in real analysis?

One can improve their skills in writing proofs in real analysis by practicing regularly and actively seeking feedback from others. It is also helpful to study and analyze well-written proofs to understand how to effectively structure and communicate ideas in a clear and logical manner.