Can Switching from Gear to Roller Drive Reduce Noise in Toy Mechanisms?

In summary: Is the gear enclosed in a resonant cover?If the noise is coming from the gear train cover, replacing that cover can greatly reduce the noise.
starcrossed
I am using a gear mechanism in one of the toys that i am making for my baby. but the gear makes a lot of noise. Will replacing it with Roller drive or friction drive reduce the noise?

Is there any other way to reduce noise from gear drive?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Gears are often a source of noise, but this can be reduced. Firstly, are the gears matched such that they mesh correctly? Is the backlash between the gears set?

Secondly (I'm assuming these are spur gears), are they straight cut? A lot of noise can be minimised by replacing these with helical cut gears, though you'll then have to consider shaft thrust.

Thirdly, what are the gears made of, and are they sufficiently lubricated?

Finally, how are the gears enclosed? Dealing with engines, complaints of "noisy gear train" are often a result of the gear train cover being a large, resonant panel. Sure, it sounds and looks like gear train noise, but isolating that panel can reduce the noise by huge amounts. Possibly not relevant to your application, but it's worth thinking about.

It's impossible to say whether the use of roller or friction drive will reduce noise without seeing your specific application.

Hallo starcrossed! :smile:
starcrossed said:
I am using a gear mechanism in one of the toys that i am making for my baby. but the gear makes a lot of noise.

:rolleyes: How much noise does the baby make? :smile:

thanks a lot

The simple move, if it can be done structurally, is to reduce tooth size (finer mesh) and decrease backlash. That may not be possible. It also depends on the speeds you're talking about.

What is gear material is not the polymer one?if not make it polymer...

The bearing (the hole) where the shaft of the gear goes is also important, if its too loose it will be noisy. Also lube the gears well.

1. What is the difference between gear and roller drive?

Gear drive and roller drive are two different types of mechanisms used for power transmission in machines. Gear drive uses a series of interlocking gears to transfer power from one component to another, while roller drive uses cylindrical rollers to transfer power.

2. Which is better, gear or roller drive?

There is no clear answer to which drive mechanism is better, as it depends on the specific application and requirements. Gear drives are more efficient and provide a higher torque, while roller drives are better for high-speed applications and require less maintenance.

3. What are the advantages of gear drive?

Gear drives have several advantages, including high efficiency, high torque capacity, and precise speed control. They also have a long service life and can operate in a wide range of temperatures and conditions.

4. What are the advantages of roller drive?

Roller drives have the advantage of being able to handle high speeds and provide smooth, continuous power transmission. They also have low maintenance requirements and are more compact compared to gear drives.

5. Which drive mechanism is more commonly used in machines?

Both gear and roller drives are commonly used in machines, but the specific application and requirements will determine which mechanism is more suitable. Gear drives are often used in heavy-duty applications, while roller drives are more common in high-speed and continuous operation machines.