Need help with fourier transformation to derive oseen tensor.

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the Oseen tensor from the Navier-Stokes equation for an incompressible fluid, with the assumption that inertia forces are negligible. The equations are rewritten using Fourier transforms, resulting in equation (3). The conversation also mentions a helpful derivation in an attached file and concludes with gratitude for the information provided.
Hoeni

Homework Statement

Derive the Oseen tensor from the Navier-Stokes equation, Consider an incompressible fluid where the velocity field [tex]\vec{v}[/tex]([tex]\vec{r}[/tex],t) is given by
[tex]\nabla[/tex].[tex]\vec{v}[/tex]=0 (1)
Assume inertia forces are negligible.

Homework Equations

The Navier-Stokes eq becomes:
-[tex]\nabla[/tex]P+[tex]\eta[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\vec{v}[/tex]+[tex]\vec{f}[/tex]=0 (2)
With pressure P, [tex]\eta[/tex] the fluid viscosity and f the force acting on a unit volume.

Now we define the Fourier transform as [tex]\vec{v}[/tex]k=[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\vec{v}[/tex]([tex]\vec{r}[/tex]) exp[i [tex]\vec{k}[/tex].[tex]\vec{r}[/tex]] d[tex]\vec{r}[/tex] and so on.
Show that eq (1) and (2) can be rewritten as:
[tex]\vec{k}[/tex].[tex]\vec{v}[/tex]k=0 and -[tex]\eta[/tex] [tex]\vec{k}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\vec{v}[/tex]k - i[tex]\vec{k}[/tex] Pk = -[tex]\vec{f}[/tex]k (3)

The Attempt at a Solution

In every book it is just said that Fourier transforming eq (1) and (2) just leads to (3) but it is not explained. I've tried it but maybe someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a nice derivation in the attached file.

Attachments

• oseen.pdf
    169.1 KB · Views: 571
Haha, thank you!
but I posted this question in 2009 and as I remember correctly was able to figure it out in the end and hand in my exercises.
To save you some time, next time check the data of the post!
Cheers

I saw the date actually; just figured it might be useful to someone else at some point.

You are right, didn't think about it. I never posted my answer, doubt I still have it.
Good job!

thanks it was useful to me!

Good to hear!

1. What is a Fourier transformation?

A Fourier transformation is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It is commonly used in signal processing, image analysis, and many other areas of science and engineering.

2. Why is a Fourier transformation used in deriving the Oseen tensor?

The Oseen tensor is used to describe the motion of particles in a fluid. By using a Fourier transformation, we can analyze the fluid motion in terms of its constituent frequencies, making it easier to understand and model.

3. How do you perform a Fourier transformation to derive the Oseen tensor?

To perform a Fourier transformation, first express the Oseen tensor in terms of its Fourier coefficients. Then, use the inverse Fourier transformation to obtain the tensor in the original space domain. This allows us to solve for the tensor in terms of its frequency components.

4. What are the applications of the Oseen tensor in fluid mechanics?

The Oseen tensor is commonly used in the study of fluid mechanics, particularly in the analysis of the motion of particles in a fluid. It is also used in the study of turbulence and in the development of numerical models for fluid flow.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Fourier transformation to derive the Oseen tensor?

While a Fourier transformation is a powerful mathematical tool, it is not always applicable in deriving the Oseen tensor. In certain situations, such as when dealing with non-uniform or non-stationary flows, other methods may be more appropriate for obtaining the tensor.