Solving dy/dx=x-y | Learn how to integrate y without respect to anything

• Thread starter computerex
  • Start date
The homogeneous solution is y=ke^{-x}. The particular solution is y=x-1. The general solution is y = ke^{-x} + x - 1.
computerex

Homework Statement

[tex]\int (x-y) [/tex]

What is [tex]\int y[/tex] ? I don't mean [tex]\int y dy[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]dy/dx = x-y[/tex]
[tex]y + dy = x dx[/tex]
[tex]\int y + \int dy = \int x dx[/tex]
[tex]\int y + y = x^2/2 + c[/tex]

I am stuck at this point because I don't know how to integrate y without respect to anything...If that even makes sense.

EDIT:

Nvm...I am stupid xD

[tex]\int x dx - \int y dx [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
computerex said:
EDIT:

Nvm...I am stupid xD

[tex]\int x dx - \int y dx [/tex]

That still doesn't help you though. How exactly do you plan on integrating [itex]\int y(x) dx[/itex] when you don't know what [itex]y(x)[/itex] is?

You can't solve this differential equation just by integrating both sides. Instead, try using the substitution [itex]u=x-y[/itex] to rewrite the DE in terms of [itex]u(x)[/itex] and [itex]u'(x)[/itex].

gabbagabbahey said:
Instead, try using the substitution [itex]u=x-y[/itex] to rewrite the DE in terms of [itex]u(x)[/itex] and [itex]u'(x)[/itex].
That will result in another nonhomogeneous ODE. A tiny bit simpler perhaps, but still nonhomogeneous.

computerex: What have you been taught regarding solving nonhomogeneous differential equations?

D H said:
That will result in another nonhomogeneous ODE. A tiny bit simpler perhaps, but still nonhomogeneous.

Something about separable ODE's appeals to me though:wink:

Depends on the OP's background. The original problem can be rewritten as

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} + y = x[/tex]

The homogeneous and particular solutions can be read off just by inspection.

1. What is the purpose of solving dy/dx=x-y?

The purpose of solving dy/dx=x-y is to find the general solution to the given differential equation. This allows us to determine the relationship between the dependent variable y and the independent variable x.

2. How do you integrate y without respect to anything?

To integrate y without respect to anything, we treat y as a constant and integrate with respect to x. This means that we are finding the anti-derivative of y with respect to x, which will give us the general solution to the given equation.

3. What is the process for solving dy/dx=x-y?

The process for solving dy/dx=x-y involves separating the variables and integrating both sides with respect to x. This will yield the general solution, which can then be used to find specific solutions for different initial conditions.

4. Can you solve dy/dx=x-y using any method other than integration?

Yes, there are other methods for solving differential equations such as substitution, separation of variables, and using an integrating factor. However, in the case of dy/dx=x-y, integration is the most straightforward and efficient method.

5. Why is it important to learn how to solve dy/dx=x-y?

Solving dy/dx=x-y is important because differential equations are used to model many real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Being able to solve them allows us to understand and predict the behavior of these systems, making it a valuable skill for any scientist or engineer.