Proving Convergence of (x+z) as t Approaches Infinity in a System of Three ODEs

In summary, the problem asks for a proof that when t is large, the sum of x(t) and z(t) converges to K times the exponential of a positive real root of an equation. To solve this, we can start by differentiating the middle equation and substituting in the first and third equations. This will give us a differential equation for y(t) that we can solve. Next, we can write the sum of x(t) and z(t) in terms of y(t) and use this to show convergence to the desired value.
hzzhangyu

Homework Statement

In a problem I was given a system of three differential equations concerning three functions, x(t), y(t) and z(t):

dx(t)=2y(t)dt,
dy(t)=[z(t)-x(t)]dt,
dz(t)=[c^2x(t)-2y(t)]dt. (where c is a constant)

The problem asked me to prove that when t is large, x(t)+z(t) converges to K*exp{wt},
where w is a positive real root of equation w^3+4w-2c^2=0,

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't studied how to solve this kind of ODE system in my calcus class, so now I am stuck at the beginning of this question. If you are willing to take time to look at it for me, I will be real grateful for that. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The middle equation is

y'(t) = z(t)-x(t).

If you differentiate it, you'll get

y''(t) = z'(t)-x'(t)

You can substitute for x'(t) and z'(t) using the first and third equations. With a bit more manipulation, you can eventually get a differential equation for just y(t), which you should be able to solve (in principle). Next, write (x+z)'' in terms of y. Then you should be able to argue what you're trying to show.

1. What is a system of three ODEs?

A system of three ODEs (ordinary differential equations) is a set of three equations that describe the relationship between three variables, where each variable is a function of the others and their derivatives with respect to an independent variable (usually time). They are often used to model complex systems in physics, biology, and engineering.

2. How do you solve a system of three ODEs?

The most common method for solving a system of three ODEs is through numerical methods, such as the Runge-Kutta method or the Euler method. These methods involve breaking down the equations into smaller steps and using iterative calculations to approximate the solution. Other methods include analytical solutions and using software programs specifically designed for solving ODEs.

3. What types of systems can be described by three ODEs?

A system of three ODEs can be used to model a wide variety of systems, including mechanical systems, electrical circuits, chemical reactions, population dynamics, and more. Essentially, any system that involves three variables that are interdependent can be described by a system of three ODEs.

4. Are initial conditions necessary for solving a system of three ODEs?

Yes, initial conditions are necessary for finding a specific solution to a system of three ODEs. These initial conditions are values assigned to each variable at a specific point in time, and they are used as starting points for the numerical or analytical solution methods.

5. How can a system of three ODEs be used in real-world applications?

Systems of three ODEs have a wide range of applications in various fields. For example, in physics, they can be used to model the motion of objects under the influence of forces. In biology, they can be used to model population growth or the spread of infectious diseases. In engineering, they can be used to design and control systems such as robots, aircraft, and machines. Overall, they are valuable tools for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems in real-world applications.