Probability choosing (non)defective items

• Thread starter satchmo05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the problem involves finding the probability of the 3rd and 4th defective items occurring at the 5th and 6th sample draws from a set of 25 items with 5 defective items. This can be solved using the binomial theorem, which has not yet been covered. A helpful approach could involve defining events A (choosing non-defective item) and B (choosing defective item) and calculating the probability of choosing 2 defectives and 2 non-defectives in the first 4 draws, as well as the probability of the 5th and 6th draws being defective (taking into account the first 4 draws in the second case).
satchmo05

Homework Statement

A set of 25 items contains 5 defective items. Items are sampled at random one at a time. What is the probability that the 3rd and 4th defectives occur at the 5th and 6th sample draws if the items are:
a.) replaced after each is drawn?
b.) not replaced after each is drawn?

Homework Equations

I s'pose I could use the binomial theorem, but in the section this problem is in - it has not been covered. I really do not know any other useful formulas.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I were to define my events, let A: chose non-defective item, and B: chose defective item. The probability, based on the first line of the problem, is P(A) = 0.8. From here, I do not know where to start.

Any helpful hints that could get me going? Thank you for all help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Also note that the 3rd and 4th defective should be chosen at the 5th and 6th sample draw.

So you will need at least
1) the probability of choosing 2 defectives and 2 non-defectives in the first 4 draws
2) the probability that the fifth and sixth are defective (in the second case, add: given that the first two draws contain two defective and two non-defective samples)

1. What is the difference between probability of choosing a defective item and probability of choosing a non-defective item?

The probability of choosing a defective item refers to the likelihood of selecting an item that is damaged, broken, or not functioning properly. On the other hand, the probability of choosing a non-defective item refers to the likelihood of selecting an item that is in good condition and works as intended.

2. How is probability used in determining the number of defective items in a batch?

Probability can be used to estimate the number of defective items in a batch by calculating the expected value. This involves multiplying the probability of choosing a defective item by the total number of items in the batch.

3. Can probability be used to guarantee the selection of a non-defective item?

No, probability cannot guarantee the selection of a non-defective item. It only provides an estimate of the likelihood of selecting a non-defective item. Other factors such as the quality control process and the condition of the items in the batch can also impact the selection of a non-defective item.

4. How can probability be affected by the size of the batch?

The size of the batch can affect probability in two ways. First, as the size of the batch increases, the probability of selecting a defective item decreases. Second, a larger batch size allows for a more accurate estimate of the probability of choosing a defective item.

5. Is probability the only factor to consider when choosing items from a batch?

No, probability is not the only factor to consider when choosing items from a batch. Other important factors include the quality control process, the condition of the items in the batch, and the specific needs or preferences of the individual selecting the items.