Troubleshooting CD Drives D & E Issues

In summary, the computer won't recognize our new E: drive, and we installed some software on the D: drive but it won't open either.
Gale
we have two cd drives d: and e: our d drive won't open at all. and for some reason our computer doesn't recognize that we have and e drive. I want to install new software, but because neither works, i can't. help??

~abigale~

Computer science news on Phys.org
Can you give us some context? Is it a new computer? Is one of the drive new? Have you just formatted your HD, etc.

um, def not new, i think we did reformat our hard drive about a month ago, but i put software on it after that via the e drive because the d won't open, or even read anything.

In order to help you, we'll need more info.

-Immediately after you turn on the computer - before any OS loads up - do the eject buttons work properly? Are the lights on the drives turning on at all? Can you check your BIOS setup to see if it lists the drives?

-What sort of drives are D: and E: (cdrom/cd writer/dvd rom)?

-If you know what device corresponds to your E: drive, is it listed in the Device Manager? Is the device reported as functioning?

-What software have you been installing? (ie did this happen right after you installed some CD burning software?)

It would help if we could pinpoint the start of the problems.

Last edited:
um, the e drive opens always, but the comp doesn't recognize it. i'll restart my comp and tell you if it lights up and stuff.

d: is a cd r/rw e: is dvd

um, the cd r/rw drive shows up in the device manager, dvd drive doesn't. it says the cd r/rw is working...

i don't know when it started happening, i installed a game that a friend gave me, which works fine, and and hasn't caused any problems on their comp. that was about a month ago, maybe two... i forget.. the summer all blurs together, but either way, i definately installed it after the last time we reformatted. right now I'm trying to install some webcam software that i just bought today.

When the computer first starts booting, about 5 seconds into it, you should get a list of all drives on the machine (or you can enter bios setup, usually by hitting del) - are both drives listed?

Are both (either) shown in device manager? (control panel->system->device manager)

only the d: drive shows up in the device manager, both show up when my comp boots up.

has the computer been opened? Maybe the cable is loose.

1. Why is my CD drive not showing up in my computer?

There could be several reasons for this issue. First, make sure that the CD drive is properly connected to your computer and is receiving power. If it is connected correctly, try updating the drivers for the CD drive. If the issue persists, there may be a problem with the hardware itself and it may need to be replaced.

2. How do I troubleshoot a CD drive that is not reading discs?

Start by checking the discs you are trying to read. Make sure they are not scratched or damaged. If the discs are fine, try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with a soft, lint-free cloth. You can also try updating the drivers or reinstalling the CD drive. If none of these solutions work, the CD drive may need to be replaced.

3. My CD drive is making strange noises. What could be the problem?

Strange noises coming from a CD drive could indicate a problem with the disc being read, the drive itself, or the connection between the drive and the computer. It is best to try cleaning the lens and checking the discs first. If the issue persists, there may be a problem with the drive and it may need to be replaced.

4. Can I use a CD cleaning disc to fix issues with my CD drive?

While a CD cleaning disc may help with minor issues, it is not a guaranteed solution. It is always best to try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with a soft, lint-free cloth first.

5. How do I know if I need to replace my CD drive?

If you have tried all troubleshooting steps and the CD drive still does not function properly, it may need to be replaced. You can also try connecting the CD drive to another computer to see if it works, which can help determine if the issue is with the drive or the computer.