Is Silicene the New Graphene? (Atom-Thick Silicon)

In summary, researchers have developed a new form of silicon called silicene, which is similar to graphene in terms of its atom-thick structure. However, unlike graphene, silicene does not form stable bonds with itself and therefore requires a substrate for stability. It may have unique properties and potential applications, but is not as versatile as graphene.
sanman
Researchers have developed silicene, atom-thick silicon sheets similar to graphene:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/aug/25/silicene-new-form-silicon-might-speed-microcircuit/

http://apl.aip.org/resource/1/applab/v96/i26/p261905_s1?isAuthorized=no

How similar could atom-thick silicon be to graphene? In what ways will it differ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Silicon sits just beneath carbon in the periodic table of elements and has many of the same chemical properties.

I hate when people say that, it's grade-school chemistry - too oversimplified. Silicon has somewhat similar properties. One very important difference, not least in this context, is that silicon does not form very stable bonds with itself. Alkanes are all stable, silanes become notoriously unstable after only a few atoms in length. Note that crystalline silicon is sp4-hybridized, i.e. the same structure as diamond, whereas no stable sp3/graphite analogue exists at all. Nor do I expect that we'll be seeing silicene nanotubes or buckyballs.

On the other hand, it doesn't mean you can't have a stable silicene monolayer if it's situated on some kind of substrate, as in this case. I haven't read up on the subject, but my hunch (per the above) tells me that it's not going to be as stable as graphene. The size is probably more limited, as well as the number of substrates on which you can successfully create it. So it's not likely as versatile as graphene. That said, it probably does have a number of interesting and unique properties the same way graphene does, and I can see it having at least some of the applications that graphene has, in solid state and such. But that's better addressed by a solid state person.

1. What is silicene and how is it different from graphene?

Silicene is a single-atom-thick layer of silicon atoms arranged in a honeycomb lattice, just like graphene. However, silicene is made of silicon atoms while graphene is made of carbon atoms. This results in different electronic and mechanical properties, making silicene a potential alternative to graphene in certain applications.

2. What are the potential applications of silicene?

Silicene has potential applications in electronics, optoelectronics, and energy storage. Its unique electronic properties, such as its high carrier mobility and tunable bandgap, make it a promising material for transistors and other electronic devices. It also has potential for use in solar cells and batteries.

3. How is silicene produced?

Silicene can be produced through several methods, such as chemical vapor deposition (CVD) and molecular beam epitaxy (MBE). These techniques involve depositing silicon atoms onto a substrate, such as a metal surface, under specific conditions to form a single layer of silicene.

4. What are the challenges in working with silicene?

One of the main challenges in working with silicene is its instability. Silicene is highly reactive and can easily oxidize, making it difficult to handle and study in its pure form. Another challenge is producing large, uniform sheets of silicene, as it tends to form small islands rather than a continuous layer.

5. Is silicene the future of electronics?

While silicene shows great potential for use in electronics, it is still in the early stages of research and development. Its production and stability issues need to be addressed before it can be widely used in commercial applications. Therefore, it is too early to say if silicene will be the future of electronics, but it has the potential to be a valuable addition to the field.