Math Programming Language

In summary, The conversation discusses the need for a programming language that can handle large numbers and matrices, particularly for a number theory problem. Suggestions for Octave and Pari are given, with the recommendation to use the native type __int128_t for handling 30 digit integers. Other languages with "Big Integers" are also mentioned, such as Java and Haskell.
approx
I've been looking for a free download of a programming language that is easy to use and handles large numbers for a number theory problem I'm working on. I will report my results here after I use it. My TI isn't powerful enough and my other programmable calculator that I downloaded, graphcalc, doesn't do matrices. I'm guessing I need something that handles 30 digit integers, but the more the better. And of course it needs to handle matrices. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
approx said:
I've been looking for a free download of a programming language that is easy to use and handles large numbers for a number theory problem I'm working on. I will report my results here after I use it. My TI isn't powerful enough and my other programmable calculator that I downloaded, graphcalc, doesn't do matrices. I'm guessing I need something that handles 30 digit integers, but the more the better. And of course it needs to handle matrices. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Pari is excellent, and much better than Octave for number theory.
http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/

You can handle 30 digit integers natively in 64-bit gcc. No other programming language will even come close in terms of speed.

Thanks for the input and the links. I'll try these out.

hamster143 said:
You can handle 30 digit integers natively in 64-bit gcc.

How? That would be useful. For example, that would let me compute multiplies mod a number <= 316227766016837 natively. (I'd otherwise be limited to 4294967296, which is less useful.)

Last edited:
CRGreathouse said:
How? That would be useful. For example, that would let me compute multiplies mod a number <= 316227766016837 natively.

You use the native type __int128_t.

Any language with "Big Integers" (arbitrary precision) integers should work (computational speed not being a factor). Java has a pretty basic implementation. Haskell has one as well, and is a bit faster and is often better for mathematical problems.

hamster143 said:
You use the native type __int128_t.

Nice, I'll have to play with that.

What is a Math Programming Language?

A Math Programming Language is a computer programming language specifically designed for mathematical and scientific computations. It allows users to express complex mathematical algorithms and equations in a concise and efficient manner.

What are some examples of Math Programming Languages?

Some examples of Math Programming Languages include MATLAB, Mathematica, and R. These languages are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and data analysis.

How is a Math Programming Language different from a general-purpose programming language?

A Math Programming Language is specifically designed for mathematical computations, while a general-purpose programming language can be used for a wide range of applications. Math Programming Languages typically have built-in mathematical functions and syntax that make it easier to write and execute mathematical operations.

What are the advantages of using a Math Programming Language?

One of the main advantages of using a Math Programming Language is its ability to handle complex mathematical computations and equations efficiently. It also provides tools for data analysis and visualization, making it useful for scientific research and data-driven decision making.

Do I need to be a mathematician to use a Math Programming Language?

No, you do not need to be a mathematician to use a Math Programming Language. However, a basic understanding of mathematical concepts and programming principles can be helpful in using these languages effectively.