What is the formula for bending stress of a plate with a central point load

In summary: However, if you still wish to do a hand calculation, the most suitable approach would be to use Roarks formulas. You can use the formulas for a simply supported rectangular plate, as your plate is supported by ribs at 400mm spacings and is unsupported in the other plane. You can also use the section modulus method, but be aware that this is a simplified method and may not provide the most accurate results. In summary, the best approach would be to use FEA to analyze the bending capacity of your steel deck, but if you prefer to do a hand calculation, using Roarks formulas or the section modulus method would be suitable.
OB732
I have a steel deck (a) 2000mm x (b) 4200mm overall comprising 12.5mm durbar plate (grade S275) welded to RSA ribs at 400mm spacings, the plate is unsupported in the other plane (4200mm span) with the exception of end plates.
I wish to drive a forklift truck over the plate with a wheel load of 37.5KN max, which will result in a concentrated load over a small area midspan (a1) 250mm x (b1) 50mm.

I wish to check the bending capacity of the plate by hand (as opposed to FEA) and my question is therefore what would be a suitable approach/calculation for this check ??

I have looked at Roarks formulas but struggled to find a suitable support condition for the plate, so have pondered if a simplistic approach would be to determine a section modulus (bd 2/6 for the plate based on a 45 deg dispersion from the concentrated load to the supporting rib, can anybody see a problem with this ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach might work, but it is not the most accurate way to calculate the bending capacity of your steel deck. The best approach would be to use a finite element analysis (FEA) program to model the deck and analyze the stress distribution in the plate. This will give you an accurate idea of the stress distribution in the plate due to the concentrated load, as well as the maximum allowable load. You can also use FEA to check for other types of failure such as buckling or fatigue.

1. What is bending stress?

Bending stress is a measure of the amount of stress a material experiences when it is subjected to a load or force that causes it to bend or deform. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2).

2. What is a central point load?

A central point load is a type of load or force that is applied to a single point on a material, as opposed to being distributed evenly across the material's surface. It is often represented as a single arrow pointing towards the center of the material.

3. What is the formula for bending stress of a plate with a central point load?

The formula for bending stress of a plate with a central point load is: σ = (F * L) / (t * b^2), where σ is the bending stress, F is the force applied, L is the length of the plate, t is the thickness of the plate, and b is the width of the plate.

4. How do you calculate the bending stress of a plate with a central point load?

To calculate the bending stress of a plate with a central point load, you will need to know the force being applied, the dimensions of the plate (length, width, and thickness), and the equation σ = (F * L) / (t * b^2). You can then plug in the values and solve for the bending stress.

5. What are the units of measurement for bending stress?

Bending stress is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2). However, it can also be expressed in other units, such as pascals (Pa) or megapascals (MPa).