Atomic exitations, difference between photon and electron collision?

In summary, there are two ways to excite atoms: shooting a beam of photons and letting them be absorbed, or shooting a beam of electrons and letting them collide with the atoms. The former requires the photon energy to match the energy level differences exactly, while the latter only requires the kinetic energy of the electrons to be greater than the energy difference. This is due to the difference in interaction terms between photon-atom and electron-atom collisions. Photon impact excitation cross sections are calculated using Fermi's Golden rule, which results in a delta function selection rule. On the other hand, electron impact excitation cross sections are calculated using the Lippmann-Schwinger equation, where the interaction terms do not have the delta function selection rule
kof9595995
I guess this is a FAQ, but since it constantly confused me, I'm just going to ask anyway.
Two ways of exciting atoms, shoot a beam of photons and let atoms absorb them, or shoot a beam of electrons, and let atoms collide with them.
However, for the excitations to happen, the former case requires the photon energy matches the energy level differences exactly, and the latter case only requires kinetic energy of electrons bigger then energy difference. How should we explain this from first principles of QM or QFT?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hrmm. I'll give this a shot. Hopefully I'm mostly correct here. =)

As far as I know, a Photon can only be absorbed as a whole, or not at all. If it has too much energy for 1 level, but not enough for 2, then it can't be absorbed as there is nowhere for the extra energy to go. If it has too little energy then again there is nowhere for the energy to go. Since photons are massless and always move the same speed, they don't have kinetic energy and instead have only momentum.

For electrons, they have mass and kinetic energy, not merely momentum as photons do. The electrons can impart their kinetic energy in just about any amount to the whole atom instead of just the electron energy levels. An electron hitting an atom can impart its energy to the whole atom in the form of movement of the atom.

Drakkith said:
Hrmm. I'll give this a shot. Hopefully I'm mostly correct here. =)

As far as I know, a Photon can only be absorbed as a whole, or not at all. If it has too much energy for 1 level, but not enough for 2, then it can't be absorbed as there is nowhere for the extra energy to go. If it has too little energy then again there is nowhere for the energy to go. Since photons are massless and always move the same speed, they don't have kinetic energy and instead have only momentum.

For electrons, they have mass and kinetic energy, not merely momentum as photons do. The electrons can impart their kinetic energy in just about any amount to the whole atom instead of just the electron energy levels. An electron hitting an atom can impart its energy to the whole atom in the form of movement of the atom.

Drakkith, please excuse my ignorance here, I keep reading photons are massless, but that radiation has pressure ? I know it's supposed to be very weak, but is this disregarded ?

Thanks

Isaacsname said:
Drakkith, please excuse my ignorance here, I keep reading photons are massless, but that radiation has pressure ? I know it's supposed to be very weak, but is this disregarded ?

Thanks

The pressure is from the momentum of the photon. It is massless, but it does posess momentum. Its energy is related to it's frequency, and since it travels at c, you can calculate the momentum.

See here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon#Physical_properties

Drakkith said:
The pressure is from the momentum of the photon. It is massless, but it does posess momentum. Its energy is related to it's frequency, and since it travels at c, you can calculate the momentum.

See here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon#Physical_properties

Thank you.

Drakkith said:
If it has too much energy for 1 level, but not enough for 2, then it can't be absorbed as there is nowhere for the extra energy to go. If it has too little energy then again there is nowhere for the energy to go. Since photons are massless and always move the same speed, they don't have kinetic energy and instead have only momentum.
Why, I thought photons possesses only kinetic energy because they are massless. And why can't the atom absorb the photon and just emit another lower frequency photon at the same time?

kof9595995 said:
I guess this is a FAQ, but since it constantly confused me, I'm just going to ask anyway.
Two ways of exciting atoms, shoot a beam of photons and let atoms absorb them, or shoot a beam of electrons, and let atoms collide with them.
However, for the excitations to happen, the former case requires the photon energy matches the energy level differences exactly, and the latter case only requires kinetic energy of electrons bigger then energy difference. How should we explain this from first principles of QM or QFT?

So in this case, you are ruling out the scenario for complete ionization? Because in that case, there really isn't that restriction for photons as well. The extra energy is carried away predominantly by the liberated electron.

Zz.

You also have inelastic (Raman) and elastic (Rayleigh) scattering of photons off atoms and molecules.

The following points might be of use:
1. Photon impact excitation cross sections are calculated with Fermi's Golden rule (see Sakurai Advanced Quantum Mechanics p39-57 onwards). The calculation leads to a delta function selection rule: E_f = E_i + \hbar\omega.
2. Electron impact excitation cross sections can be obtained with the aid of the Lippmann-Schwinger equation (read Roman, Advanced Quantum Theory and learn about the link between the T matrix, S matrix and differential cross section). The critical point is that the V matrix elements in the Lippmann-Schwinger equation do not have the delta function selection rule involving \hbar\omega.

Put simply, the interaction terms in photon-atom collisions differ from the interaction terms in electron-atom collisions. See eq 2.102 Sakurai for the former. The latter involve the coulomb interation (1/r) + any relativistic effects (eg Breit interaction) of relevance.

Hope that helps; a full understanding will require a lot of reading.

ZapperZ said:
So in this case, you are ruling out the scenario for complete ionization? Because in that case, there really isn't that restriction for photons as well. The extra energy is carried away predominantly by the liberated electron.
Yes, I'm only talking about bound state transition

dr_uri said:
The following points might be of use:
1. Photon impact excitation cross sections are calculated with Fermi's Golden rule (see Sakurai Advanced Quantum Mechanics p39-57 onwards). The calculation leads to a delta function selection rule: E_f = E_i + \hbar\omega.
But that delta function results from large t limit, which means for small t, non-resonant frequency can also induce a transition.

kof, please read the references carefully, particularly Sakurai p57.

Yes the delta function does result from the large t limit. Standard Fourier analysis mandates that a well defined frequency in the frequency domain corresponds to an infinite time extent in the time domain. If we have smaller t, then we no longer have a well defined photon frequency, and your question related to a particular "photon energy" cannot be addressed.

Emm, I can't fully understand it at the time because I'm not familiar with some technical terms he used for the discussion, but I see it is at least highly related to my question, thanks.

dr_uri said:
Standard Fourier analysis mandates that a well defined frequency in the frequency domain corresponds to an infinite time extent in the time domain.
Actually, I'd like to know how exactly Fourier analysis results in this. I see this conclusion so often that I take it for granted, partially because it reminds me of uncertainty principle. But there is no energy-time uncertainty principle in any common sense. So what is the exact meaning of what I just quoted?

kof9595995 said:
Why, I thought photons possesses only kinetic energy because they are massless. And why can't the atom absorb the photon and just emit another lower frequency photon at the same time?

As I just read from sakurai, this process is indeed possible(but absorption and emission need not to be simultaneous) and is responsible for the so called Stokes' line, a spectral line more reddish than that of incident radiation.

1. What is an atomic excitation?

An atomic excitation occurs when an electron in an atom absorbs energy and jumps to a higher energy level. This can happen through various processes such as collisions with other particles or absorption of a photon.

2. How does a photon collision differ from an electron collision?

In a photon collision, a photon (a particle of light) transfers its energy to an electron in an atom, causing it to jump to a higher energy level. In an electron collision, two electrons collide and transfer energy between each other, causing one electron to jump to a higher energy level.

3. What is the significance of atomic excitations?

Atomic excitations play a crucial role in many physical and chemical processes. For example, they are essential for understanding the behavior of atoms in a gas, the formation of chemical bonds, and the emission of light from stars.

4. Can atomic excitations be reversed?

Yes, atomic excitations can be reversed through a process called relaxation. This occurs when an electron in a higher energy level returns to its original, lower energy level, releasing the absorbed energy in the form of a photon.

5. How are atomic excitations studied?

Scientists use various techniques such as spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by excited atoms, to study atomic excitations. They can also use computer simulations and mathematical models to understand the behavior of excited atoms.