Water divining or witching What is the basis behind it?

In summary, the conversation discusses the practice of water "divining" or "witching" as a method for locating water wells. The speaker expresses skepticism and questions the validity of this method, citing the lack of scientific evidence and the types of people promoting it.
fastline
Water "divining" or "witching". What is the basis behind it?

Before I start, let me say that I am hugely skeptical but we do have an issue where finding a good hitting water well might be tough so thought I might check...lol

For those that are unaware, people are basically using pieces of wire held in the hand and when they move or something, this is supposed to mean something. Sounds like a wiji board. anyway, I thought I would ask if there is any physicals at ALL that supports these methods in any shape for fashion?

When looking this up on youtube, I think the characters say it all. Not one engineer or physicist, only mullet types that have 3 teeth and cannot talk right. That might be all I need to know...lol

Physics news on Phys.org

What is water divining or witching?

Water divining or witching is a practice that involves using a tool, typically a Y-shaped stick or rods, to locate underground water sources. It is also known as dowsing.

How does water divining or witching work?

The exact mechanism behind water divining is not fully understood, but it is believed that the divining rods or stick are sensitive to the presence of water. When the diviner walks over an underground water source, the tool is believed to react, indicating the location of the water.

Is there any scientific evidence to support water divining or witching?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of water divining or witching. Many studies have been conducted to test its accuracy, but the results have been inconclusive.

Why do some people believe in water divining or witching?

Some people believe in water divining or witching because they may have had personal experiences where it appeared to work. Others may believe in it because it has been passed down through generations as a traditional practice.

Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to using water divining or witching?

There are no known risks associated with water divining or witching, but it should not be solely relied upon for finding underground water sources. It is important to also consult with a professional and use other methods, such as scientific surveys, for accuracy.