Explanation on Taylor expansions needed

In summary, the equation given for the first case is a Taylor expansion with multiple terms, and the second case involves expanding a function in powers of a variable and neglecting higher order terms.
Stalafin
I have a question about Taylor expanding functions. For both cases I can't get my head around why things are the way they are. I just don't see how one would perform Taylor expansions like that.

The first:
The starting point of a symmetry operations is the following expansion:
[tex]f(r+a) = f(r) + \left(a\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right) f(r) + \frac{1}{2} \left(a\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)^2 f(r) + \frac{1}{3!} \left(a\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)^2 f(r) + \ldots[/tex]

The second:
This one comes from Landau's book, first chapter, fourth section:
Given the equation [itex] L = L(v^{\prime 2}) [/itex] where [itex]\boldsymbol{v}^\prime = \boldsymbol{v} + \boldsymbol{\varepsilon}[/itex] and [itex]\boldsymbol{v}^2 = v^2[/itex] s.t. [itex] L(v^{\prime 2}) = L(v^2 + 2\boldsymbol{v}\boldsymbol{\varepsilon} + \boldsymbol{\varepsilon}^2)[/itex]: why does expanding in powers of [itex]\boldsymbol{\varepsilon}[/itex] and neglecting terms above first order lead to:
[tex]
L(v^{\prime 2}) = L(v^2)+\frac{\partial L}{\partial v^2} 2\boldsymbol{v}\cdot \boldsymbol{\varepsilon}
[/tex]

Some insight into why this is would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Okay, the first and the second one are equivalent if I set [itex]r=v^2[/itex], [itex]a=2\boldsymbol{v}\boldsymbol{\varepsilon}[/itex] and disregard terms [itex]\boldsymbol{\varepsilon}^2[/itex]. I still do not quite see how to get the first equation done properly.

For a normal Taylor expansion (up to first order), we have:
[tex]
f(x) = f(c) + (x-c) \frac{\operatorname{d}}{\operatorname{d}x}f(c) + \ldots
[/tex]

If I now identify [itex]x=r+a[/itex] and [itex]c=a[/itex] I recover most of the terms I need, with the exception of [itex]\frac{\operatorname{d}}{\operatorname{d}r+a}f(r)[/itex].

Suggestions?

Hi Stalafin! :smile:

Stalafin;3373466 The first: The starting point of a symmetry operations is the following expansion: [tex said:
f(r+a) = f(r) + \left(a\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right) f(r) + \frac{1}{2} \left(a\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)^2 f(r) + \frac{1}{3!} \left(a\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right)^2 f(r) + \ldots[/tex]

This is an abuse of notation and an abuse that I don't like at all. Basically, this equation has two kind of r's: an r that represents a value and an r that represents a variable.

Rewriting your equation gives us
[tex]f(r+a) = f(r) + a\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial r}f(r) + \frac{1}{2} a^2\cdot\frac{\partial^2}{\partial r^2}f(r) + \frac{1}{3!} a^3\cdot\frac{\partial^3}{\partial r^3} f(r) + \ldots[/tex]

Because the notation [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial f}[/itex] sucks (because r is used as a variable there), we will replace it with a better one:

[tex]f(r+a) = f(r) + af^\prime(r) + \frac{1}{2} a^2f^{\prime\prime}(r) + \frac{1}{3!} a^3f^{\prime\prime\prime}(r) + \ldots[/tex]

But this is exactly the Taylor series! So the original formula was correct (but abusive).

What is a Taylor expansion?

A Taylor expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function with a polynomial series. It involves expanding a function around a specific point and expressing it as a sum of infinitely many terms.

Why are Taylor expansions useful?

Taylor expansions are useful because they allow us to approximate complex functions with simpler polynomials. This can make solving problems in mathematics and physics easier and more efficient.

How do you find the coefficients in a Taylor expansion?

The coefficients in a Taylor expansion can be found using a formula called the Taylor series formula, which involves calculating higher order derivatives of the function at the point of expansion.

What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Taylor polynomial?

A Taylor series is an infinite sum of terms, while a Taylor polynomial is a finite sum of terms. Taylor polynomials are used to approximate functions, while Taylor series are used to represent them exactly.

Can Taylor expansions be used for any type of function?

No, Taylor expansions can only be used for functions that are infinitely differentiable at the point of expansion. If a function is not infinitely differentiable, the Taylor series may not converge or may give inaccurate results.