Electricity & Resistance: The Physical Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses the physical explanation behind the potential difference in resistance, specifically through the classical Drude model of charge transport in solids and the work of Onsager and Kubo. While these theories provide a deeper understanding of Ohm's law, the Drude model is considered the most simple and comprehensible approach to explaining the phenomenon. The conversation also mentions the classical Hall effect as another example of a linear effect in conducting media.
cosmonova
Hello,

We all know Ohm's law U=RI, but I would like to know the physical explanation behind the apparition of the potential difference U of the resistance.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
cosmonova said:
Hello,

We all know Ohm's law U=RI, but I would like to know the physical explanation behind the apparition of the potential difference U of the resistance.

thank you.

Look at the classical Drude model of charge transport in solids:

http://people.deas.harvard.edu/~jones/es154/lectures/lecture_2/drude_model/drude_model.html

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, Ohm's law was given a firm footing by Onsager. If you can get Phys Rev, see here:

http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v38/i12/p2265_1

Otherwise, just google Onsager and "Ohm's law" and eventually you'll find something.

krab said:
IIRC, Ohm's law was given a firm footing by Onsager. If you can get Phys Rev, see here:

http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v38/i12/p2265_1

Otherwise, just google Onsager and "Ohm's law" and eventually you'll find something.

We all (should) know that Onsager's theory can be explained fully by mean of Boltzmann equation approach both to transport phenomena in solid state physics and plasma physics.Which should be coming from Kubo's theory of linear responses (both classical and quantum).Apparently there cannot be a deeper explanation of Georg Ohm'1828 law.
But i' have to stick with Zz's referring to the Drude model as being the most simple & comprehendable approach to what's really happenig in a conductor.

Daniel.

PS.What i said applies to another linear effect in conducting media,the classical Hall effect.

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that is caused by the movement of electrons. It is typically produced by the flow of electrically charged particles, such as in a battery or power plant.

2. What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for electric current to flow through a material. It is caused by collisions between moving electrons and the atoms of the material.

3. How is resistance measured?

Resistance is measured in Ohms (Ω) and can be calculated using the equation R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current. It can also be measured using a multimeter.

4. What factors affect resistance?

There are several factors that can affect resistance, including the material of the conductor, its length and cross-sectional area, and the temperature. Generally, materials with higher resistivity, longer length, and smaller cross-sectional area will have higher resistance.

5. How does electricity flow through a circuit?

Electricity flows through a circuit in a continuous loop, from the power source to the load and back. The power source provides the voltage to push the electrons, and the load, such as a light bulb, uses the electricity to do work. The circuit is completed by connecting the power source and load with conductive materials.