Reflection of a falling object on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a ball falling on an inclined plane and rebounding. The question is how to find the distance from the impact point where the ball will rebound for the second time. The conversation involves using kinematic equations, conservation laws, and understanding the angle of reflection for the ball's momentum. The solution is found to be θ=180°-α, where α is the angle of the inclined plane.
Pi-Bond

Homework Statement

(Irodov - Problems in General Physics - 1-31)
A ball starts falling with zero initial velocity on a smooth inclined plane forming an angle α with the horizontal. Having fallen the distance h, the ball rebounds elastically off the inclined plane. At what distance from the impact point will the ball rebound for the second time?

Homework Equations

Kinematic Equations, Conservation laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve this question if I can get one piece of information - the angle with the inclined plane with which the ball recoils. Using geometry I found that the incoming ball makes an angle 90+α with the plane. However I can't find the recoil angle. I suppose application of the conservation laws is required, but they bear no result for me - any clues on how to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
When the ball reaches the surface, the normal force acts on it and makes it reflect. The normal force changes the normal component of the momentum, but the component parallel with the incline is conserved.
The situation is completely analogous to the reflection of light. Image a light ray falling vertically onto a mirror that makes an angle α with the horizontal. What do you know about the angle of reflection?

ehild

The angle of refraction is equal to the angle of incidence...so here the angle with the normal to the plane must be same before and after reflection. But what do you mean by component parallel to the incline? Shouldn't it be zero, as the ball is simply falling downwards?

The momentum is vertical, and the vertical direction makes an angle 90+α with the incline, as you found it out already. The momentum has a parallel component with respect to the plane which is unchanged during the collision.

ehild

Ok I get what you meant. Before the impact the ball has an angle α with the normal to the incline. If I set up a coordinate system with the y-axis as the normal to the incline and the x-axis as surface of the incline, I can write the momentum before the collision. How do I use this to explicitly show the angle after collision?

What are the x and y components of the momentum before the collision in terms of the angle α?
After collision, the x component stays the same, the y component changes sign. What will be the direction of the momentum after collision? Make a drawing, you will see at once.

ehild

I can see from the drawing through vector addition, but not from the algebra of it. Since the ball makes an angle 90+α with the plane, the angle with the normal is α. If I resolve the components along these axes the x-component would be mvsin(α) and the y would be -mvcos(α). If the angle after recoiling is θ, the components would be mvsin(θ) and mvcos(θ). If I equate these two using what you said I just get θ=α. So I must have resolved the momentum wrongly?

sinα=sinθ; -cosα=cosθ ----> θ=180°-α.

ehild

Attachments

• slope.JPG
    slope.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 488
Ok I get it - thanks for the help!

Irodov ... i miss my school days :(

1. How does the angle of the incline affect the reflection of a falling object?

The angle of the incline affects the acceleration of the falling object, which in turn affects the distance and speed of the object's reflection. The steeper the incline, the faster the object will accelerate and the shorter the distance it will travel before reflecting.

2. Does the weight of the object have an impact on its reflection on an inclined plane?

Yes, the weight of the object affects its acceleration due to gravity, which influences the distance and speed of its reflection. A heavier object will accelerate faster and reflect at a shorter distance than a lighter object.

3. How does friction play a role in the reflection of a falling object on an inclined plane?

Friction between the object and the inclined plane can slow down the object's acceleration and affect its speed and distance during reflection. The rougher the surface of the incline, the more friction will be present and the slower the object will accelerate and reflect.

4. Does air resistance impact the reflection of a falling object on an inclined plane?

Yes, air resistance can affect the speed and distance of the object's reflection. The more surface area the object has, the more air resistance it will experience, slowing down its acceleration and reducing the distance it can travel before reflecting.

5. How does the height of the incline impact the reflection of a falling object?

The height of the incline can affect the potential energy of the object, which in turn affects its acceleration, speed, and distance during reflection. A higher incline will give the object more potential energy, resulting in a faster acceleration and a longer distance for reflection.