Gaining Confidence in Pre-Calculus

In summary, the conversation revolves around a new member, Johnyi, who is enrolled in a pre-calculus class and is seeking extra help. The other members welcome Johnyi and assure him that he will receive a lot of help in the forum. They also engage in a playful discussion about their favorite fish, and Johnyi accidentally clicks on a strange and confusing YouTube link. The conversation ends with a member warning Johnyi about clicking on links and suggesting he request a specific type of fish.
Johnyi
Im currently enrolled in a pre-calculus class, and I am pretty afraid of it because i am not that great at math. I joined in hopes of gaining some extra help on the side. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll find good help here. Welcome to PF, Johnyi!

Welcome! I'm sure you'll learn a great deal here!

Welcome to PF, Johnyi!

I'm sure you'll get a lot of math help here!

I'm curious, do you have some kind of favorite fish??

Welcome to PF Johnyi! You have a lot of resources and help in this forum, so do not worry anymore about your Pre-Cal class!

So yea...whats your favorite fish hmm? :biggrin:

Favorite fish? I'd have to say salmon lol. Why?

*slaps Johnyi with a juicy salmon*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1xfp6Xeu0c

Hmm... I feel as if some brain cells died... The brain cells that held my pre-calc knowledge... thanks alot...!

:P

*Slaps Johnyi with Salmon*

It is our little tradition for new members here lol. My little hint for you is do not click any Youtube links by micro if you don't want to lose anymore brain cells :)

Ivan92 said:
*Slaps Johnyi with Salmon*

It is our little tradition for new members here lol. My little hint for you is do not click any Youtube links by micro if you don't want to lose anymore brain cells :)

Don't warn him :frown:

Uh huh, I could've gotten a warning, and that better, stranger video. I seriously couldn't understand what those fish were saying. The German subtitles didn't help either, as I don't speak German.

micromass said:
Don't warn him :frown:
I'm worried you're going to slap a new member too hard some day. So for all new members that may see this post, you should request this fish.
worlds_smallest_fish2.jpg
_41253676_fish_pa203b.jpg

1. How can I overcome my fear of pre-calculus?

The best way to overcome fear of pre-calculus is to practice regularly and seek help from your teacher or a tutor if needed. Start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It's also important to have a positive mindset and believe in your ability to learn and understand the material.

2. What are the most important topics to focus on in pre-calculus?

Some of the most important topics in pre-calculus include functions, graphing, trigonometry, and algebraic expressions. It's also important to have a strong understanding of basic math concepts, such as fractions, decimals, and exponents.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in pre-calculus?

The key to improving problem-solving skills in pre-calculus is to practice consistently. Make sure to understand the fundamental concepts and techniques, and then apply them to a variety of problems. It can also be helpful to work through problems with a study group or a tutor.

4. What are some study tips for pre-calculus?

Some study tips for pre-calculus include reviewing and taking notes on class material, practicing regularly, and seeking help when needed. It can also be helpful to create flashcards or study guides for important concepts and formulas. Additionally, make use of online resources and practice problems to supplement your learning.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying pre-calculus?

Staying motivated while studying pre-calculus can be challenging, but it's important to remember why you are learning the material and how it will benefit you in the long run. Set achievable goals for yourself and track your progress. Also, take breaks when needed and reward yourself for your hard work. Lastly, surround yourself with a supportive and encouraging study environment.