Finding g on unknown planet given only total time and a random height

In summary, we have an unknown planet with weaker gravity than Earth. To measure g, we perform an experiment where a ball is thrown upwards and passes a windowsill 11.0 m above ground. It takes 2.00 s to pass the same windowsill again on its way up, and 5.00 s to reach the ground again. Using the equations s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2 and s=vt-\frac{1}{2}at^2, we can determine the magnitude of g at the surface of this planet. The equation a=(11-2.5Vi)/(1.125) can be used to solve for g.
tswvyimlis

Homework Statement

Been working on this for the past hour or so and seem to be going in circles; finally decided to call in the cavalry:

You land on an unknown planet somewhere in the universe that clearly has weaker gravity than Earth. To measure g on this planet you do the following experiment: A ball is thrown upward from the ground. It passes a windowsill 11.0 m above ground and is seen to pass by the same windowsill 2.00 s after it went by on its way up. It reaches the ground again 5.00 s after it was thrown. Calculate the magnitude of g (the acceleration due to gravity) at the surface of this planet.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The cavalry can't help you without first seeing your attempt at a solution! What formulas are you tinkering with?

Sorry, my first attempt was flawed because I mistakenly equated Vavg.= (Vfinal+Vinitial)/2 and from that eventually came up with the equation 4t*deltaY*(2Vfinal-Vavg)+Vavg=Vfinal and used the reference point of t=1.5s and y=11m to solve for Vfinal. That (probably obviously) didn't work so now I've used the equation y=Vi+Vi*t+(1/2)at2 after I plugged in the same reference point I got it down to a=(11-2.5Vi)/(1.125).

I can't seem to get past here. Thanks!

I agree, this one takes a bit of thinking and some trial and error!

My hint would be that you need to use [itex]s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex] (1) and [itex]s=vt-\frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex] (2). Using these, you can get an expression for u in terms of a, and then put back into (1) to finally get an answer.

To calculate g on an unknown planet, we can use the equation g = (2h/t^2), where h is the height and t is the total time. In this case, h = 11.0 m and t = 5.00 s - 2.00 s = 3.00 s. Plugging in these values, we get g = (2*11.0 m)/(3.00 s)^2 = 4.89 m/s^2. This is the magnitude of g at the surface of the unknown planet.

1. What is "g" and why is it important to find on an unknown planet?

"g" represents the acceleration due to gravity, which is a fundamental force that affects all objects on a planet. It is important to find on an unknown planet because it can determine the weight and movement of objects on the surface, as well as provide valuable information about the planet's mass and composition.

2. Can "g" be different on different parts of the planet?

Yes, "g" can vary depending on the location and mass distribution of the planet. For example, it may be stronger near the poles and weaker near the equator due to the planet's rotation. Additionally, the presence of large mountains or deep valleys can also affect the strength of "g."

3. How is "g" on an unknown planet calculated with only the total time and a random height?

Using the equation g = 2h/t^2, where "h" is the random height and "t" is the total time, "g" can be calculated by solving for it using basic algebra. This equation is based on the laws of motion and assumes that the only force acting on the object is gravity.

4. What other factors can affect the accuracy of calculating "g" on an unknown planet?

Apart from the location and mass distribution of the planet, other factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating "g" include air resistance, the shape and density of the object being dropped, and the precision of the measurement tools used.

5. How can knowing "g" on an unknown planet be useful for future space exploration?

Finding "g" on an unknown planet can provide valuable information for future space missions, such as determining the feasibility of landing on the planet, predicting the effects of gravity on spacecraft and astronauts, and understanding the planet's geology and atmosphere. It can also aid in the design of spacecraft and equipment specifically tailored for the conditions on that planet.