I am having a hard time defining theta in Torque=rFsin(theta)

In summary, theta represents the angle between the position vector and the force vector in the equation Torque = rFsin(theta). In the case of a pulley, the tension force is tangential to the pulley, meaning that the angle theta will always be 90 degrees.
dadiezel07
Can someone dummify what theta represents in Torque = rFsin(theta)?

if my understanding of theta is correct for this problem theta would be 53 degrees.
(See attached picture)

Attachments

• HW6P10.JPG
    HW6P10.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,571
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dadiezel07 said:
Can someone dummify what theta represents in Torque = rFsin(theta)?
In general, θ would be the angle between the position vector (r), which describes the point of application with respect to some axis, and the force vector (F).
if my understanding of theta is correct for this problem theta would be 53 degrees.
No. Assuming you are trying to express the torque on the pulley, realize that the tensions are tangential to the pulley.

Doc Al said:
No. Assuming you are trying to express the torque on the pulley, realize that the tensions are tangential to the pulley.

When you say they are tangential to the pulley, can you explain a little furthur.

Thats another subject I can't quite wrap my head around is the definition on tangential, is it the word to describe "linear" equations?

I have been continuing the subject without complete understanding of everything this is my attempt at understanding everything because my book does a horrible job.

dadiezel07 said:
When you say they are tangential to the pulley, can you explain a little furthur.
I mean that the line of action of the tension force (which is the line that the ropes make) is tangential to the circle that is the pulley. Which means that if you draw a radius to the point of application of the force, the force would be at 90° to the radius.

so in the case of the pulley will the theta angle always be 90 degrees?

dadiezel07 said:
so in the case of the pulley will the theta angle always be 90 degrees?
Yes.

1. What is theta in the context of torque?

Theta, denoted by the Greek letter θ, is the angle between the force vector and the lever arm in the equation Torque=rFsin(theta). It is an important factor in determining the magnitude of torque exerted on an object.

2. How do you measure theta in the torque equation?

The angle theta can be measured using a protractor or by calculating it using trigonometric functions, depending on the given information about the force and lever arm. It is usually measured in degrees or radians.

3. Why is theta important in torque calculations?

Theta is important because it affects the magnitude of torque exerted on an object. Changing the angle theta can significantly change the resulting torque, even if the force and lever arm remain constant.

4. Can theta be negative in the torque equation?

Yes, theta can be negative in the torque equation. This occurs when the force and lever arm are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for the sine of theta. However, when calculating torque, theta is usually taken as a positive value, regardless of the direction of the force and lever arm.

5. How does theta relate to the direction of rotation in torque?

The direction of rotation in torque depends on the direction of the force and the angle theta. If theta is greater than 90 degrees, the torque will cause clockwise rotation. If theta is less than 90 degrees, the torque will cause counterclockwise rotation. A theta of exactly 90 degrees will result in no rotation.