Integration by substitution of sqrt cos theta.sin cube theta

In summary, the integral \int_{0}^ \frac{\pi}{2}\sqrt{cos\theta}sin^3(\theta) d\theta can be simplified using integration by substitution, and the result is \frac{8}{21}.
davie

Homework Statement

To show that [tex]\int_{0}^ \frac{\pi}{2}\sqrt{cos\theta}sin^3(\theta) d\theta[/tex] = 8/21

The Attempt at a Solution

The above expression was simplified as
[tex]\int_{0}^ \frac{\pi}{2}\sqrt{cos\theta}sin^2(\theta) sin(\theta) d\theta[/tex]
[tex]\int_{0}^ \frac{\pi}{2}\sqrt{cos\theta}(1-cos^2(\theta)) sin\theta d\theta[/tex]
I have tried using integration by substitution method.
Let [tex]cos\theta = t^2[/tex]
or,[tex] sin\theta d\theta = 2tdt[/tex]

also changing the limits, when [tex]\theta = 0[/tex] , t becomes 1
and when [tex]\theta = \frac{\pi}{2} [/tex], t becomes 0

therefore the expression will look like this.
[tex]\int_{1}^ 0 t.(t^4-1)2t.dt[/tex]

Am I going into the right direction or should I use any other method like integration by parts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let t = cos θ. See if you can figure it out from there.

davie said:

Homework Statement

To show that [tex]\int_{0}^ \frac{\pi}{2}\sqrt{cos\theta}sin^3(\theta) d\theta[/tex] = 8/21

The Attempt at a Solution

The above expression was simplified as
[tex]\int_{0}^ \frac{\pi}{2}\sqrt{cos\theta}sin^2(\theta) sin(\theta) d\theta[/tex]
[tex]\int_{0}^ \frac{\pi}{2}\sqrt{cos\theta}(1-cos^2(\theta)) sin\theta d\theta[/tex]...
Distribute [itex]\sqrt{\cos(\theta)}[/itex] through (1 - cos2(θ)) .

and remember that [itex]\displaystyle \sqrt{x}=x^\frac{1}{2}\,.[/itex]

... and use Ivan92's suggested substitution.

davie said:
therefore the expression will look like this.
[tex]\int_{1}^ 0 t(t^4-1)2t dt[/tex]

Am I going into the right direction or should I use any other method like integration by parts.

Why don't you just integrate what you have and find out?

Thanks to everyone who responded, especially Harrisonized, you were right.
Guess I was heading into the right path.
[tex]\int_{1}^ 0 t(t^4-1)2t dt[/tex]

--->[tex] 2.\frac{t^7}{7}-2.\frac{t^3}{3}[/tex] when integrated.

--->[tex] 0-\frac{6-14}{21}[/tex] when variable substituted with the limits.

1. What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a function by substituting a variable with another expression. This allows for the integral to be transformed into a simpler form that is easier to solve.

2. How does substitution work in integration?

In integration by substitution, the goal is to find a new variable to substitute in for the original variable. This is done by choosing a function that, when differentiated, will result in the original function being integrated. The new variable is then substituted into the integral, simplifying the problem.

3. When should substitution be used in integration?

Substitution should be used when the function being integrated is composed of multiple terms, and when one of those terms can be replaced by a new variable. This allows for the integral to be broken down into simpler parts that can be solved more easily.

4. How do you use substitution to integrate sqrt cos theta.sin cube theta?

For this specific example, we can use the substitution u = cos(theta). This will result in the integral becoming sqrt(u)sin^3(theta)dtheta. We can then use another substitution, v = sin(theta), to transform the integral into sqrt(u)v^3du. This can then be solved using basic integration techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to using substitution in integration?

Substitution can only be used for integrals that can be expressed in terms of the variable being substituted. It may not work for all functions and may require additional techniques to solve the integral. Additionally, it may not always result in a simpler integral, and other methods such as integration by parts may be more effective.