Reaction of alkaline earth metals with O 2

In summary, alkaline Earth metals, such as Ba, Ca, and Sr, are kept in paraffin while Mg and Be are not due to their reactivity. The lower the metal is on the periodic table, the more reactive it is. Be and Mg are mildly reactive and can be kept in contact with air, while those below react violently with oxygen and are kept submerged in an inert liquid. The coat of oxide on the surface of Mg and Be prevents them from being attacked by acids by isolating the bulk metal from further reactions.
anigeo
reaction of alkaline Earth metals with O2

i just got in my textbook that Ba,Ca,Sr is kept in paraffin but Mg and Be are not as they form a protective coat of oxide on their surface.i don't get a clue about this .could anyone explain me this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

I don't understand what you don't understand - alkaline metals differ, the lower you are in the periodic table, the more reactive they are. Be and Mg are mildly reactive, they can be kept in contact with the air, those below react violently with the air oxygen, so they are kept submerged in an inert liquid.

Borek said:
I don't understand what you don't understand - alkaline metals differ, the lower you are in the periodic table, the more reactive they are. Be and Mg are mildly reactive, they can be kept in contact with the air, those below react violently with the air oxygen, so they are kept submerged in an inert liquid.

what about the coat of oxide on the surface of Mg and Be that prevents them from being attacked by acids.

anigeo said:
what about the coat of oxide on the surface of Mg and Be that prevents them from being attacked by acids.

Again, I don't understand what you don't understand and I can only repeat, almost word for word, what you wrote. Fresh surface of the Mg and Be reacts quickly with the air oxygen. Produced oxides stick strongly to the surface and are relatively nonreactive, thus they isolate bulk metal below from the further reactions.

The reaction of alkaline earth metals with oxygen (O2) is a highly exothermic process. When exposed to oxygen, elements such as barium (Ba), calcium (Ca), and strontium (Sr) react vigorously, producing oxides of these metals. However, magnesium (Mg) and beryllium (Be) have a different reaction with oxygen due to their unique properties.

Mg and Be are more reactive compared to Ba, Ca, and Sr. When exposed to oxygen, they form a thin layer of oxide on their surface, which acts as a protective barrier. This layer prevents further reaction with oxygen and protects the underlying metal from corrosion.

On the other hand, Ba, Ca, and Sr are less reactive and have a higher melting point. When exposed to oxygen, they form a thick layer of oxide on their surface, which does not act as a protective barrier. This layer can continue to react with oxygen, leading to the formation of more oxides.

To prevent this continuous reaction, Ba, Ca, and Sr are kept in paraffin, which acts as a protective coating. This allows the metals to be stored and handled safely without reacting with oxygen.

In summary, the reaction of alkaline earth metals with oxygen is influenced by the reactivity and properties of each element. While Mg and Be form a protective layer of oxide, Ba, Ca, and Sr require a protective coating to prevent further reaction with oxygen.

1. What happens when alkaline earth metals react with oxygen?

When alkaline earth metals react with oxygen, they undergo a chemical reaction that results in the formation of an oxide compound. This reaction is highly exothermic, meaning it releases a large amount of heat energy.

2. Why do alkaline earth metals react with oxygen?

Alkaline earth metals have two valence electrons in their outermost energy level, making them highly reactive. When they come into contact with oxygen, they readily lose these electrons to form a stable oxide compound.

3. What are the products of the reaction between alkaline earth metals and oxygen?

The products of this reaction depend on the specific alkaline earth metal involved. For example, when magnesium reacts with oxygen, the product is magnesium oxide (MgO). When calcium reacts with oxygen, the product is calcium oxide (CaO).

4. How does the reactivity of alkaline earth metals with oxygen compare to other metals?

Alkaline earth metals are more reactive than most other metals, but less reactive than alkali metals (such as sodium and potassium). This is due to their relatively low ionization energies and their tendency to lose two electrons in a chemical reaction.

5. What are some practical applications of the reaction between alkaline earth metals and oxygen?

The reaction between alkaline earth metals and oxygen is used in various industrial processes, such as the production of steel and the purification of metals. It is also utilized in the manufacture of fireworks, where the intense heat and light produced by this reaction create vibrant colors.