What is the role of forcing in understanding uncountable sets in set theory?

• Thread starter Deveno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the author is concerned about the real numbers and the lack of a model for ZFC. He is uncertain about what is allowed and what is mere conjecture. He does not feel confident about what structure is large enough to contain all of ZFC or whether or not a Grothendieck universe actually exists. He is a simple person at heart and is willing to leave some questions unanswered. However, this doubt is what is causing him to doubt the real numbers. He is unsure of what the Skolem paradox means and what are these c.t.m. "extensions" M[G]. He wants to understand and is hesitant at the same time. He is unsure of what is going on. Some have
Deveno
Science Advisor
Gold Member
MHB
I have recently become suspicious of the real numbers. For nearly 3 decades I accepted their axiomatic existence as a complete, ordered archimedian field. The Dedekind-cut, and Cauchy sequence, and "infinite decimal" constructions all made sense to me.

And then I started reading about models of ZFC. And I became concerned. Perhaps the power set axiom really didn't say what I thought it did, at least not for the power set of a countably infinite set. If the collection of subsets that were members of a model of ZFC weren't *all* the possible subsets (perhaps I should use a different word than "subset" here, I'm not sure) of a given infinite set, then perhaps Cantor's proof only showed that a surjection from N to 2N wasn't a function in our model.

The lack of an actual model for ZFC started to concern me, too. I feel...uncertain...as to what is allowed, and firm ground, and what is mere conjecture. I never worried overmuch about what structure might be large enough to contain all of ZFC, or whether or not a Grothendieck universe actually existed. I'm a simple person at heart, willing to leave some questions unanswered.

But this doubt...what does the Skolem paradox mean? What are these c.t.m. "extensions" M[G]? Levy collapse? How exactly does "forcing" work? Why are "generalized ultrafilters" so mysterious? I want to understand...and I'm a bit hesitant, too, at the same time. And, you just can't "do" topology without running into some of these questions.

Someone help me out, here...what's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Deveno said:
Someone help me out, here...what's going on?
What's going on is that first-order logic is simply incapable of dealing properly with infinities. First-order set theory is really an ersatz theory of infinity, suitable for many purposes but ultimately flawed. (This is my opinion, not the received view, mind you.)

Preno said:
What's going on is that first-order logic is simply incapable of dealing properly with infinities. First-order set theory is really an ersatz theory of infinity, suitable for many purposes but ultimately flawed. (This is my opinion, not the received view, mind you.)

that's the impression that i get, too. one web-site described it as: first-order logical theories are extremely non-categorical. but in what I've been reading (or trying to read...it's hard going) the tactic of "forcing" to create non-standard models equi-consistent with ZF(C), significantly alters what the power set axiom "means".

ok, with respect to the real numbers: it seems that it is possible (given "a" model of ZF(C)) to insist that any element of your "universe" be countable, which at face value, means that we don't get to count the whole of the real numbers (in the usual sense) as a "set". but i find it hard to imagine what a maximal countable subset of the reals might even look like, and which numbers we "don't get".

some have responded that this is a compelling reason to use second-order logical systems, which eliminate some of these ambiguities. but i feel like I'm "not getting" some vital pieces of the puzzle. like these generalized filters based on dense sets in some poset in the universe. even if these constructions are more curiosities then actual useful enities, i'd still like to have a better grasp of what is intended.

1. What is an uncountable set?

An uncountable set is a set that has an infinite number of elements, but cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. This means that the elements of the set cannot be counted or listed in a systematic way.

2. What is forcing in set theory?

Forcing is a mathematical technique used in set theory to construct new models of set theory by adding new elements to a given set. It was developed by Paul Cohen in the 1960s as a way to prove the independence of the Continuum Hypothesis from Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory.

3. How is forcing used to study uncountable sets?

Forcing is used to study uncountable sets by adding new elements to a set, which allows for the creation of new models of set theory that can have different properties and characteristics. This allows for the exploration of different types of uncountable sets and their relationships to each other.

4. What is the Continuum Hypothesis and how does it relate to uncountable sets?

The Continuum Hypothesis is a mathematical conjecture that states that there is no set with a cardinality strictly between that of the natural numbers and the real numbers. This hypothesis relates to uncountable sets because it deals with the cardinality of uncountable sets, specifically the cardinality of the set of real numbers.

5. What are some applications of uncountable sets and forcing in other fields?

Uncountable sets and forcing have applications in many areas of mathematics, including topology, analysis, and logic. They are also used in other fields such as computer science and physics, where uncountable sets are used to study the structure of infinite systems and to model complex phenomena.