Calculating Chain Forces on a Swing: Midterm Problem Help

• Thread starter ajc9387
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Midterm
In summary, a person weighing 850 N sits on a swing supported by two chains, with the person sitting 1.2 m from one end and a can of soda weighing 40 N sitting .5 m from the opposite end. The swing itself weighs 250 N. Using the logic that each chain supports a fraction of the weight of anything sitting on the swing, it can be determined that the chain near the person will support more weight than the chain near the can. Adding the weight of the swing evenly split between the two chains, it can be calculated that the chain near the can will support 125 N and the chain near the person will support more than that. This can be further solved using linear equations.
ajc9387
Hey

My midterm is tomorrow and i don't know how to do this! See if one of you does.

A 850 N person sits 1.2 m from one end of a swing (5 m long) supported at each end by a chain. The swing weighs 250 N and there is a 40 N can of soda .5 m from the end opposite the person. How much force does each chain exert?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Ajc9387

Physics news on Phys.org
Wo- that's a toughy :tongue2:. Here's what I'd do.

There are two things to help us understand the problem here.

First, the center of mass (CM) of the swing is located at its geometrical center, (i.e. 2.5m from each end) and it serves as its axis of rotation. Now, clearly the swing is not more rotating than it is accelerating linearly, so the sum of the torques about the CM must be 0. The person exerts a positive torque about the CM, and the can exerts a negative one. So the tension will have to exert a torque that cancel the sum of those torques. You can surely figure out which one of the two chains will apply that torque, and the value of the force (tension) producing it.

Second thing is the weight of the swing. This force, in so far as we consider that it is a force acting solely at the CM, exerts no torque about the CM. This is where I don't really know how to justify it, but I'd say the chains equally split the burden of supporting the bench, meaning you must add to each of the tensions found previously, 125 N.

So, basically, the chain near the soda has tension 125 N and the chain near the person has tension higher than that.

try this...

ajc9387 said:
Hey
My midterm is tomorrow and i don't know how to do this! See if one of you does.
A 850 N person sits 1.2 m from one end of a swing (5 m long) supported at each end by a chain. The swing weighs 250 N and there is a 40 N can of soda .5 m from the end opposite the person. How much force does each chain exert?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Ajc9387

i'll assume the whole system is at rest, so i don't blow a brain cell on this one!

each chain will support "its part" of the masses hanging from it!

assuming the swing is of uniform density (if not, go out for pizza...), each chain supports what fraction of the swing alone? (half!)

if the soda can or the person were (or could) be supported by either chain alone (i.e., they could sit right at the end of the swing, or straddle the chain), that chain would support 100% of the weight and the other chain would be supporting none of their weight. if the can or the person sat in the middle, each chain would support half of the weight.

can you see what's coming? the one chain or the other chain has to support between zero and 100% of the weight of anything sitting on the swing, (plus the swing), and the fraction of the weight of the soda can OR the person is directly (and linearly) related to their position on the swing.

i'd prefer you use this logic to figure out how to solve the problem from here on, ok?

go for it!

1. What is a "Midterm problem"?

A "Midterm problem" is a term used to describe a problem or challenge that occurs during the middle of a research project or experiment. It is often a major hurdle that needs to be overcome in order to continue making progress.

2. How do you identify a "Midterm problem"?

A "Midterm problem" can be identified by carefully analyzing the data and results of the research project. It may also become apparent through unexpected or inconsistent results, or when the project is not progressing as expected.

3. What causes a "Midterm problem"?

There are many potential causes of a "Midterm problem", including errors in experimental design, unforeseen complications, or inadequate resources. It can also be caused by external factors such as changes in funding or regulations.

4. How can a "Midterm problem" be solved?

Solving a "Midterm problem" requires a thorough understanding of the problem and its underlying causes. Possible solutions may include adjusting experimental procedures, gathering additional data, or seeking assistance from other researchers or experts in the field.

5. What should be done to prevent "Midterm problems"?

While it is not always possible to prevent "Midterm problems", careful planning and attention to detail can help minimize the likelihood of encountering major roadblocks during a research project. It is also important to regularly review and analyze data to catch and address any potential problems early on.