Mass Hanging in Center of Chain Problem

In summary: Think of it like this, the weight is trying to pull the chain down, but the chain is also pulling on the weight, the weight is attached to the ceiling so it can not move down, but it can move the chain up. In this case, the chain is pulling up on the weight with twice the magnitude as the weight pulling down.
rocapp

Homework Statement

A mass of 200 kg is hanging directly in the center of a chain; the chain makes a 20o angle from its horizontal. The chain will break if more than 2000 N of force are applied at any point on the chain. Will the chain break?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Tfy=mg(sin[itex]\Theta[/itex])
g=10m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

2000N = 2Tf(sin20)
Tf1 = 1000/sin20
Tf1 = 1095 N
Tf2 = 1095 N
Tftotal = 1095N + 1095N
Tftotal = 2190 N
The chain will break.

Physics news on Phys.org
rocapp said:

Homework Statement

A mass of 200 kg is hanging directly in the center of a chain; the chain makes a 20o angle from its horizontal. The chain will break if more than 2000 N of force are applied at any point on the chain. Will the chain break?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Newton's second law is fine here. What it means in this case is that since nothing is accelerating, all the forces involved must sum up to 0 (the vector sum).
Tfy=mg(sin[itex]\Theta[/itex])
The above equation is incorrect, as applied to this problem.
g=10m/s
I think you mean units meters per second squared.

The Attempt at a Solution

2000N = 2Tf(sin20)
Okay, that's better! :approve: I assume the "2000 N" comes from mg = (200 [kg])(10 [m/s2]) = 2000 N. So far so good.
Tf1 = 1000/sin20
Everything in your attempted solution is fine so far. :approve:
Tf1 = 1095 N
Tf2 = 1095 N
Tftotal = 1095N + 1095N
Wait, something's not right here. Where did the 1095 N come from?

And why are you breaking it into 2 parts? There's no need to do that because you've already accounted for the two sections of chain in your "2000N = 2Tf(sin20)" formula.
Tftotal = 2190 N
So that's not quite right.

If it helps things make more sense, take another look at your free body diagram (FBD).

Hey thanks for the response!
The 1095N comes from
1000N/sin20 = Tf
Tf = 1095N
Is Tf the total tension force?

rocapp said:
Hey thanks for the response!
The 1095N comes from
1000N/sin20 = Tf
Tf = 1095N
I think your calculator is set to radians. The problem statement said the angle was 20o, not 20 radians.
Is Tf the total tension force?
You're the one that defined what Tf stands for. You tell me! :smile:

Really though, make sure to draw all the forces out on your FBD. That way, if you forget what one of the variable names are, your FBD will remind you what it is. :smile:

(But yes, I was assuming that when you set up your 2000 [N] = 2Tf(sin20) equation, that Tf is the magnitude of the tension on the chain. But you should check your FBD to be sure.)

Attached is my FBD.

You were spot on, I believe.

I used a calculator where I could specify degrees, and I came out with 2923.8 N. In other words, the chain will break.

Weirdest thing is that it was my cell phone's calculator. For what possible reason is that in radians?

Attachments

• physicsdiag.png
    physicsdiag.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 463
rocapp said:
I used a calculator where I could specify degrees, and I came out with 2923.8 N. In other words, the chain will break.
That looks right to me. :approve:
Weirdest thing is that it was my cell phone's calculator. For what possible reason is that in radians?
Working in radians make a lot of sense in many situations. But sometimes degrees is more convenient. Whichever cell phone you have (or whichever app you are using on your cellphone if that is the case), there should be a settings parameter that will allow you to specify radians or degrees, before using the trigonometric functions. Look in the cell phone calculator's settings menu or something like that and you should be able to change it back and forth as necessary.

Or you can always convert back and forth manually using,
[tex] \frac{\mathrm{AngDeg}}{180} = \frac{\mathrm{AngRad}}{\pi} [/tex]

Thank you very much! I believe I understand tension force problems now!

I do have one question, though. How is the magnitude of the total tension force greater than the magnitude of the weight? Where does this force come from? I read that tension force is the opposite of compression force. Is this related? Thanks again!

rocapp said:
I do have one question, though. How is the magnitude of the total tension force greater than the magnitude of the weight? Where does this force come from? I read that tension force is the opposite of compression force. Is this related? Thanks again!

If you pull directly an object up, the force must be equal to weight since total force is applied to lift the object.
If you are not pulling directly, only part(component) doing the job, which opposite to the weight.
The total force is the sum of its parts

Only the vertical component of the chain has the equal half the magnitude of the weight, this vertical component is Tsin20, if you set that equal to (200*9.8)/2 and solve for tension, the tension will be greater.

1. What is the "Mass Hanging in Center of Chain Problem"?

The "Mass Hanging in Center of Chain Problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the tension in a chain when a mass is hung in the center of the chain.

2. How do you solve the "Mass Hanging in Center of Chain Problem"?

To solve this problem, you need to use the principles of static equilibrium, where the sum of all forces acting on the system is equal to zero. This involves setting up equations for the forces acting on the chain and solving for the tension in the chain.

3. What are the assumptions made in solving the "Mass Hanging in Center of Chain Problem"?

The main assumptions made in this problem are that the chain is massless, the mass is evenly distributed along the chain, and there is no friction or air resistance.

4. Can the "Mass Hanging in Center of Chain Problem" be solved using different methods?

Yes, there are different methods that can be used to solve this problem, such as using free-body diagrams, energy methods, and vector analysis.

5. How is the "Mass Hanging in Center of Chain Problem" relevant in real-life situations?

This problem has practical applications in engineering and construction, as it helps determine the tension in cables and chains used to support structures like bridges or cranes. It is also relevant in understanding the mechanics of pulley systems and other simple machines.