Sets of all functions. Countable and Uncountable sets.

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining whether the set of all functions from {0,1} to Z+ is countable or uncountable. The speaker considers a few examples and realizes that a bijective correspondence can be constructed between this set and a finite product of countable sets, leading to the conclusion that the set of functions is also countable. They also mention a simpler bijection using the set Z_+ \times Z_+. Input on the proof is welcomed.
jmjlt88
I have some confidence that this is the right idea. But whenever I have the slightest shred of doubt, I turn to the experts! :tongue:Thus, before I write up my proof in my notes, does this look somewhat coherent?

The problem states:
“Determine whether the set of all functions from {0,1} to Z+ is countable or uncountable.”

First, I took a look at what a few functions looked like. For instance, {(0,5),(1,7)} would constitute a function. In general, the set of all functions in this case would be the collection of all {(0,n),(1,m)}, where n and m are positive integers. It then hit me that I can construct a bijective correspondence between the set of functions from {0,1} to Z+ and {0} X Z+ X {1} X Z+ by the mapping
((0,n),(1,m)) <-> (0,n,1,m).​
The latter set is a finite product of countable sets, and therefore countable. The desired result will follow.

Any input would be great! Thanks so much! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
jmjlt88 said:
I have some confidence that this is the right idea. But whenever I have the slightest shred of doubt, I turn to the experts! :tongue:Thus, before I write up my proof in my notes, does this look somewhat coherent?

The problem states:
“Determine whether the set of all functions from {0,1} to Z+ is countable or uncountable.”

First, I took a look at what a few functions looked like. For instance, {(0,5),(1,7)} would constitute a function. In general, the set of all functions in this case would be the collection of all {(0,n),(1,m)}, where n and m are positive integers. It then hit me that I can construct a bijective correspondence between the set of functions from {0,1} to Z+ and {0} X Z+ X {1} X Z+ by the mapping
((0,n),(1,m)) <-> (0,n,1,m).​
The latter set is a finite product of countable sets, and therefore countable. The desired result will follow.

Any input would be great! Thanks so much! =)

Yes, this proof is fine. Note that there is also a simpler bijection with the set [itex]Z_+ \times Z_+[/itex], namely {(0,n), (1,m)} <-> (n,m).

1. What is a set of all functions?

A set of all functions is a collection of mathematical functions that share a common domain and range. These functions can have different forms and expressions, but they all have the same input and output values.

2. How are sets of all functions different from other sets?

Unlike other sets, sets of all functions include an infinite number of elements, since there are an infinite number of possible functions that can be defined on a given domain. Additionally, the elements of these sets are typically not numbers, but rather mathematical expressions or equations.

3. What is the difference between countable and uncountable sets of functions?

Countable sets of functions are those that have a finite or countably infinite number of elements. This means that the elements can be listed or counted one by one. On the other hand, uncountable sets of functions have an uncountably infinite number of elements, meaning that they cannot be listed or counted in a straightforward manner.

4. Can sets of all functions contain functions with different forms?

Yes, sets of all functions can contain functions with different forms, as long as they have the same domain and range. For example, a set of all functions with domain [0,1] and range [0,1] could include both linear and quadratic functions.

5. What is the importance of sets of all functions in mathematics?

Sets of all functions play a crucial role in mathematics, as they allow for the study and analysis of the behavior and properties of different types of functions. They also provide a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and theories, such as calculus and functional analysis.