Phosphorus in a solution of sodium phosphate

• Thread starter bmlevac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sodium
In summary, the correct total mass of phosphorus per ml of the entire solution is 124.36 mg/mL. This is determined by calculating the concentration of phosphate ions in the solution, which is 4.015 mmol/mL, and then converting that to elemental phosphorus using the molar mass of phosphate ions. This is the most accurate and reliable method for determining the total mass of phosphorus in the solution.
bmlevac
1. Homework Statement

I have a solution containing both mono basic (480mg/ml) and dibasic (180mg/ml) sodium phosphate. How do I determine the total mass of phosphorus per ml of the entire solution?

2. Homework Equations

?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Monobasic sodium phosphate (MSP):
(480mg/mL)/(119.98mg/mmol)=4 mmol/mL

Phosphorus in MSP: (30.974 mg/mmol)(4 mmol/mL)=123.90 mg/mL

Dibasic sodium phosphate (DSP)
(180 mg/mL)/(141.96mg/mmol)=1.268 mmol/mL

Phosphorus in DSP: (30.97 mg/mmol)(1.268 mmol/mL)=39.28 mg/mL

Total elemental phosphorus = 123.90+39.28=163.18 mg/mL

However, this answer is not correct. Apparently, the correct answer is 124.36 mg/mL

Physics news on Phys.org
163 mg/mL looks OK to me.

Are you sure about concentrations given? I have no solubility tables at hand, but 480 mg/mL looks high. Not necessarily impossible, just worth checking.

Likes 1 person
It is dissolved in water and glycerin, which likely improves the solubility.

I've found an alternative solution to the problem, but now I don't know how to justify one over the other. Can someone explain why the following answer is the correct answer versus the one above?

Here is the alternate solution (using some of the calculations made above):

[MSP]=4 mmol/ml (see above)
[DSP]=1.268 mmol/ml (see above)
Molar mass phosphate ion: 94.97 mg/mmol
Molar mass MSP: 119.98 mg/mmol
Molar mass DSP: 141.96 mg/mmol

Phosphate ion concentration:
[(94.97/119.98)x4 mmol/ml]+[(94.97/141/96)x1.268 mmol/ml]=3.1667+0.8483=4.015 mmol/ml

Elemental phosphorus in phosphate ions:
(30.974 mg/mmol)x(4.015 mmol/ml)=124.36 mg/ml

Solution that 4 mmol/mL in MSP is also 4 mmol/mL in phosphate (and sodium).

Your previous answer was correct, now you are just juggling numbers.

Likes 1 person
. Can someone please explain where I went wrong?

It seems that you have correctly calculated the amount of phosphorus in each component of the solution, but you may have made a calculation error in adding the two values together. The correct calculation for the total mass of phosphorus per ml of the entire solution should be 123.90 + 39.28 = 163.18 mg/mL. It is possible that the given answer of 124.36 mg/mL is a rounded or approximate value. It is always important to check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy in scientific calculations.

What is phosphorus and how is it related to sodium phosphate?

Phosphorus is a chemical element with the symbol P and atomic number 15. Sodium phosphate is a compound that contains both sodium and phosphorus atoms. Phosphorus is a key component of sodium phosphate and is essential for many biological processes.

What are the properties of sodium phosphate?

Sodium phosphate is a white, odorless, and water-soluble compound. It is composed of sodium cations (Na+) and phosphate anions (PO43-). It has a high melting and boiling point and is commonly used as a food additive and in various industrial processes.

What is the role of phosphorus in a solution of sodium phosphate?

Phosphorus plays a crucial role in a solution of sodium phosphate. It acts as a buffer, helping to maintain the pH of the solution. It also helps to regulate cellular energy production and is necessary for the synthesis of DNA and RNA.

Can sodium phosphate solutions be harmful?

Like any chemical compound, sodium phosphate can be harmful if used improperly. In high concentrations, it can irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. It can also be toxic if ingested in large amounts. It is important to handle and use sodium phosphate solutions with caution and follow proper safety protocols.

How is phosphorus in a solution of sodium phosphate measured?

The amount of phosphorus in a solution of sodium phosphate can be measured using spectrophotometry or titration methods. These techniques involve using specific reagents that react with phosphorus to produce a measurable color change or titration endpoint. The concentration of phosphorus in the solution can then be calculated using the results of these tests.