Text waves slightly on new monitor

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with a newly purchased Acer monitor where the text appears to be moving in a wavy motion. The issue is only present in the middle part of the screen and using lines to show the affected area. The person wonders if something is wrong with the monitor and later mentions changing the resolution, which seems to have fixed the problem. The expert mentions that LCD monitors can act strangely when not on their native resolution and asks about the type of cable being used. The person then shares a similar experience with a different monitor and resolution.
leroyjenkens
I just bought a new Acer monitor and the text, such as what I'm typing right now, is moving very slightly in a wavy motion.

Actually, I just noticed it's only wavy in the middle part of the screen. I'll use lines to show which part it's wavy at.
------------------------|_____________________|----------------------------------------------

Where there is a underscores instead of dashes, that's where the text is wavy from the bottom of the screen to the top. Is something wrong with this monitor? Thanks.

Edit: Ok I just changed the resolution, and that seems to have fixed it. Is that normal?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Did you change to the monitors native resolution? LCD monitors can act strange when they are not on their native resolution. Also, what kind of cable are you using with your monitor? DVI? VGA? HDMI?

I had similar (but not identical) problems with a VGA LCD monitor connected to DVI card (through DVI-VGA adapter). After replacing monitor with a DVI LCD, everything get back to normal.

Which just means questions asked by KrisOnh are valid :wink:

1. Why does the text on my new monitor appear to wave slightly?

This is likely due to an effect called "moire" caused by the interaction between the pixels on your monitor and the pixels in the text. It can also be caused by a poor quality cable or interference from nearby electronics.

2. Is the "moire" effect harmful to my eyes?

No, the "moire" effect is purely visual and does not cause any harm to your eyes. However, it can be distracting and may cause eye strain if present for extended periods of time.

3. Can I fix the "moire" effect on my new monitor?

Yes, there are a few potential solutions to reduce or eliminate the "moire" effect. You can try adjusting the resolution or refresh rate on your monitor, changing the font type or size, or using a different cable. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to consult with a technician.

4. Will the "moire" effect go away over time?

In most cases, the "moire" effect will not go away on its own. It is important to address the underlying cause in order to reduce or eliminate the effect.

5. Is the "moire" effect a sign of a defective monitor?

Not necessarily. The "moire" effect can occur on any monitor, even high-quality ones. However, if the effect is severe or persistent, it may be a sign of a defective monitor and should be checked by a professional.