Cloud vs Laptop for Number-Crunching: Which is Faster and More Efficient?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of cloud computing and its potential use for number crunching tasks. The speaker mentions their familiarity with various programming languages and tools, and raises questions about the availability of applications and development tools, speed of number crunching, and sharing capabilities in the cloud compared to traditional laptop computing. They express interest in trying out cloud computing and thank the other person for their suggestions.
maajdl
Gold Member
Hello,

I never tried any cloud solution, and I hardly know what it means.
Thanks to the CodeProject newsletter, I read this article comparing the performances of different cloud solutions:

http://www.infoworld.com/print/237169

from this reading, I guessed that the cloud might be used for number-crunching just as I usually do with my laptop. After all, that was obvious!

Now this raise this question:

How would cloud-based computing compare to laptop computing?

My own typical number-crunching hobbies are in the field of mathematical modeling and optimization.
I could program in C++, C#, java, R, and I am used to Excel as user interface.
I like to use Mathematica from time to time as well as SystemModeler.

I am almost sure that I could not do everything on the cloud.
But I would be interested to compare the cloud and laptop for different aspect like:

- availability of applications,
- availability of development tools,
- speed of number crunching applications,
- possibilities to share and/or distribute applications to others ,

Maybe I should first of all give it a try.
Anyway, thanks for your comments and suggestions,

Michel

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Using a cloud server for number crunching would be similar to the way computer centers were used back in the 1960's. Computers were too expensive for most companies, so they would pay by the hour or day for computer time on one of the computers in a computer center. The main difference is that they had to bring punched cards, tapes, or disk packs to the computer center (unless they stored them at the computer center), then return with those tapes, disks, and sometimes large print outs, while these days you'd be transferring stuff over the internet.

1. What is the difference between cloud computing and using a laptop?

Cloud computing refers to the delivery of computing services over the internet, where data and applications are stored and accessed remotely. This means that users can access their files and applications from any device with an internet connection. Using a laptop, on the other hand, involves storing data and running applications locally on the device itself.

2. Which one is more cost-effective, cloud computing or using a laptop?

In terms of upfront costs, using a laptop may seem more cost-effective since you only have to purchase the device itself. However, over time, cloud computing can be more cost-effective as you only pay for the resources and storage that you use, and you don't have to worry about hardware maintenance or upgrades.

3. Is one option more secure than the other?

Both cloud computing and using a laptop have their own security risks. With cloud computing, the security of your data and applications largely depends on the security measures put in place by the cloud service provider. Using a laptop, on the other hand, requires you to take responsibility for securing your device and data. It is important to follow best practices for security, such as using strong passwords and keeping your software up to date, regardless of which option you choose.

4. Can I use both cloud computing and a laptop together?

Yes, it is possible to use both cloud computing and a laptop together. In fact, many users opt for a hybrid approach, where they store some files and applications in the cloud and others on their laptop. This allows for flexibility and the ability to access files from both sources.

5. Which one is better for collaboration, cloud computing, or using a laptop?

Cloud computing is often seen as the better option for collaboration, as it allows multiple users to access and work on the same documents and applications simultaneously, regardless of their physical location. Using a laptop, collaboration may be limited to working on shared files through email or file sharing platforms.