Quasi-Mathematical Books on Various Topics in Modern Physics.

In summary, John Polkinghorne wrote two introductory texts on quantum field theory: The Quantum World (1985) and Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction (2002). There are also other recommended books such as The Road to Reality by R. Penrose and Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur by Nancaster and Blundell. For special and general relativity, suggested books include Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler, and Exploring Black Holes by Taylor and Wheeler. Additionally, From Special Relativity to Feynman Diagrams by the author Taylor and Wheeler may also be of interest as it covers both special and general relativity and particle physics.
siddharth5129
Can someone provide me with a quasi-mathematical introductory text to quantum field theory ? Ideally, a book that's somewhere between popular science and an introductory freshman physics text.
I have a strong background in calculus, having just completed a one-semester equivalent reading of R.Shankar's quantum mechanics, so I'm more than comfortable with the math. Nevertheless, I'm looking for something that won't take me months to complete, and isn't formal or heavy, while still retaining all the conceptual clarity of a more advanced text.
Also, I'm looking for similar books on Special and General relativity, Nuclear physics, and Particle physics.
Appreciate all the help. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
John Polkinghorne wrote two:

The Quantum World (1985)
Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction (2002)

I've read the first one, but both get fine reviews.

Thanks. Know of anything similar in other topics of modern physics ?

Non-relativistic QFT makes its appearance in condensed matter physics. Since there it is equivalent to the Schroedinger equation for many identical particles, it may be a good way to go from Shankar to QFT. Re-expressing Schroedinger's equation for many identical particles as a non-relativistic QFT is called "second quantization". See eg https://archive.org/details/ColemanAnEvolvingMonogramOnManyBodyPhysicsFreescience996Year2010 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
For a non-technical introduction to QFT see
K. Huang, Fundamental Forces of Nature: The Story of Gauge Fields

Soon the book
Nancaster, Blundell: Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur
will also be published, but I haven't seen it yet so I cannot recommend it.

siddharth5129 said:
Thanks. Know of anything similar in other topics of modern physics ?
For a semi-technical exposition of all fundamental physics and mathematics I strongly recommend the great book:
R. Penrose, The Road to Reality: A complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe

Likes 1 person
UltrafastPED said:
John Polkinghorne wrote two:

The Quantum World (1985)
Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction (2002)

I've read the first one, but both get fine reviews.
These are good books, but perhaps below the wanted level because they are purely popular books, without equations. And they are not about quantum field theory.

Just what I was looking for. Thanks a ton Demystifier. :)

For a gentle introduction to QFT I recommend the particle physics books by David Griffiths. A wealth of information to learn and no mathematical subtleties.

siddharth5129 said:
Can someone provide me with a quasi-mathematical introductory text to quantum field theory ? Ideally, a book that's somewhere between popular science and an introductory freshman physics text.

Lol?

For relativity, I'd say: Taylor and Wheeler, "Spacetime Physics".

SredniVashtar said:
For relativity, I'd say: Taylor and Wheeler, "Spacetime Physics".
That's good for special relativity, but it doesn't say much about general relativity.

To fill this gap, the same authors have also written another book at a similar level:
Taylor, Wheeler: Exploring Black Holes - Introduction to General Relativity

Frimus said:
Just yesterday I received a book "From Special Relativity to Feynman Diagrams" with a subtitle A Course of Theoretical Particle Physics for Beginners
and from the very first cursory skimming thorough it I can say it might be of interest to you
sources:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/8847015030/?tag=pfamazon01-20
or
http://www.springer.com/physics/quantum+physics/book/978-88-470-1503-6
Btw, I've got a huge discount for an e-book format of the springer book.
Like Griffiths (which someone mentioned above), this is an introductory textbook with a lot of mathematical details a student needs to learn. So perhaps this is not what he is looking for.

A nice unusual feature of this particle-physics textbook is that it also contains a chapter on general relativity.

1. What makes a book "quasi-mathematical" in the context of modern physics?

A quasi-mathematical book on modern physics is one that incorporates mathematical concepts and equations to explain various topics, but does not require a strong mathematical background to understand. It strikes a balance between a purely mathematical approach and a purely conceptual approach.

2. Can these books be understood by someone without a background in physics?

It depends on the individual's level of familiarity with mathematical and scientific concepts. Some books may be more accessible to those without a physics background, while others may assume a basic understanding of physics principles.

3. Are these books suitable for self-study or are they meant for use in a classroom setting?

Many quasi-mathematical books on modern physics are designed for self-study and can be used as supplemental material for classroom learning. However, some may be intended for use in a classroom setting and may include exercises or problems for students to work through.

4. How do these books differ from purely mathematical books on modern physics?

Quasi-mathematical books on modern physics typically focus on explaining concepts and theories using mathematical language, without delving into rigorous mathematical proofs. Purely mathematical books, on the other hand, may be more focused on deriving equations and solving problems, often at a more advanced level.

5. What topics are typically covered in quasi-mathematical books on modern physics?

These books can cover a wide range of topics, from classical mechanics and electromagnetism to quantum mechanics and cosmology. Some may also cover more specialized topics such as particle physics or general relativity.