Relevance of CRT to this question

• Thread starter Benny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crt
However, in order to summarize the conversation, we can say that the question is asking for the inverse of 32 (mod 3*5) using the Chinese remainder theorem. The question also raises the question of whether using the CRT simplifies the calculation of the inverse. The conversation includes an explanation of how to use the CRT and the conclusion that it is not necessarily any easier than solving the original problem directly. In summary, the conversation discusses using the Chinese remainder theorem to find the inverse of 32 (mod 3*5) and concludes that it may not necessarily be easier than solving the problem directly.
Benny
Q. Use the chinese remainder theorem to find the inverse of 32 (mod 3 * 5).

The question's wording seems to suggest that using the CRT to find the inverse is faster or computationally easier than solving [tex]32x \equiv 1\left( {\bmod 15} \right)[/tex]. I don't see how this is so.

In any case if I am to use the CRT I need some simultaneous congruences.

[tex]
32x \equiv 1\left( {\bmod 15} \right) \Leftrightarrow 32x \equiv 1\left( {\bmod 5} \right),32x \equiv 1\left( {\bmod 3} \right)
[/tex]

But does using the CRT actually make the calculation of the inverse any more easy? Using the CRT procedure I just back to [tex]32x \equiv 1\left( {\bmod 15} \right)[/tex].

Does using the CRT actually simplify any of the calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know that it would be any easier that way- the problem is pretty close to trivial anyway. 32 is, of course, equivalent to 2 (mod 3) or (mod 5).
It's easy to see that 2x= 1 (mod 3) gives x= 2 {(2*2)= 4= 1 (mod 3)} and that 2x= 1 (mod 5) gives x= 3 {(2*3)= 6= 1 (mod 5)}. Other numbers equivalent to 2 (mod 3) are 2+3= 5, 2+ 2(3)= 8, etc. Other numbers equivalent to 3 (mod 5) are 3+ 2= 8, 3+ 2(5)= 13, etc. The first to appear on both lists is 8. That is 2x= 1 (mod 3) and 2x= 1 (mod 5) for x= 8.
By the Chinese remainder theorem, 32x= 1 (mod 15) which is equivalent to 2x= 1 (mod 15) for x= 8. Of course, it was easy to see that 2(8)= 16= 1 (mod 15) directly.

Thanks for the response.

1. What is CRT and how does it relate to my research question?

CRT stands for Critical Race Theory, which is an analytical framework that examines how race and racism intersect with other systems of power and oppression. It can be relevant to your research question if your topic involves issues of race and discrimination.

2. Can CRT be applied to all research questions?

While CRT can be a valuable tool for analyzing issues of race and power, it may not be applicable to all research questions. It is best suited for topics that involve issues of race, racism, and power dynamics.

3. How does CRT differ from other theoretical frameworks?

CRT differs from other theoretical frameworks in that it centers the experiences and perspectives of marginalized communities and critiques the ways in which systems of power maintain and perpetuate racism. It also recognizes that race is a socially constructed concept and challenges the notion of colorblindness.

4. Is there a specific way to incorporate CRT into my research?

There is no one specific way to incorporate CRT into research, as it can be applied in various ways depending on the research question and methodology. However, it is important to engage with CRT literature and center the voices and experiences of marginalized communities in your research.

5. Are there any criticisms of CRT that I should be aware of?

Like any theoretical framework, CRT has faced criticisms. Some argue that it essentializes race and overlooks other forms of oppression, while others see it as too focused on the United States and not applicable to other contexts. It is important to critically engage with CRT and consider its limitations in your research.